A showcase with @VeilofPetals, author of Reaper's Lullaby

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

My own drug addiction to opiates. I wanted a release, a distraction and a way to raise awareness.

 2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

It was hard to balance three different points of views while keeping each character's voice and style true to them. I didn't want any reader to be halfway through a chapter and have to check whose point of view they were in. I've had to do that so many times when the writing is too similar, and it's just annoying.

 3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story? 

The comments from people who had previously been ignorant or judgmental about addiction and how it changed their perspective

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

Overall, I received positive comments and a lot of people said the series made them think, which is always my goal with writing. It touched a lot of people emotionally and I think it's one of those books that will stay with people

 5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ? 

This novel is book 1 of a three part series. I'm also currently writing a spin off novel based on a couple of the characters.

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story? 

Empathy before judgment. Always.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story? 

Don't wait for comments or votes. Even if no one is reading, keep going. I know first hand how difficult it is to gain a following on Wattpad. Just trust your writing and your story and the readers will come. Also promote the heck out of it.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

There are several main characters but overall I share their struggles with trauma, addiction and depression

 9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

That's hard to say. This story is what I think of as a niche story. If you can't handle dark, gritty, realistic stories, this is not your book. I'm not looking for just any reader. I've had readers say that my book turned their stomach and offended them. I don't want those readers. They need to go back to happy land and read romance or whatever. I am looking for readers who are searching for reality and want to see things from a new perspective no matter how uncomfortable. I think readers of Ellen Hopkins would really love this book.

 10 do you have any future projects?

Working on one now based off of this series called Cricket. It takes place a year before this book begins.