A showcase with @Kat_Rook, Author of wreak havoc

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

When I was a child my imaginary friend was a superhero. She had all the powers and was able to save anyone. Of course, she didn't survive longer then a couple of years. My story is for the Open Novella Contest, I followed a prompt and made it my own. The pill that's supposed to cure writer's block gives the participants superpowers.

2 what was something you struggled with for your story?

First making sure the word count was correct since I am on a deadline. I was worried about not having enough to time to write because I do work full-time in a child care centre. I guess a silver lining to COVID-19 is that I can write whenever I want. Shakespeare wrote 'King Lear', 'Macbeth' and 'Antony & Cleopatra' in 1605 during the Black Plague, so no pressure for upcoming authors during COVID-19.

3 what has been the overall response to your story from your readers?

Readers seem to enjoy it, I don't have a lot of readers but the ones who do always seem to read the chapter. I know it can be very discouraging not having many readers, but I love and value every one of them -even if they're only a handful.

4 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I'm enjoying writing about different types of heroes and villains! It's so much fun building their personalities and how they would react in different situations. I know how things are going to go in Wreak Havoc and it's been exciting hammering them out, publishing and waiting for a response.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series?

As of right now, it's a stand alone especially since it's for the Open Novella Contest.

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

"He did what heroes do after their work is accomplished; he died." ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace (Everyone has a hero and they too, in the end, are only human and will come to the end of their path)

7 what's a piece of advice you would provide to another writer, when it comes to focusing on their story?

I find that if I'm having a hard time, its best to focus on something else. Leave the computer (put down the chisel and chalkboard) and do something else. Read a book. Draw. I bullet journal everyday, being creative in another medium is sure to help. I go bother someone I love, like my cat Beanz or just stretch. Sometimes it's as simple as changing up the music, I've begun to love lo-fi music. Just don't take a pill for writing like the characters in my book!

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

My main character is named Noelle Lake (aka Scarlet). She's a writer, she's currently struggling with bad press and low reviews for her latest novel. While I haven't taken any pills for writer's block, Noelle struggles with the same thing most readers/writers struggle with -writer's block, self-worth and depression.

9 what's something you believe would draw in new readers?

Win contests, book clubs and doing interviews like theses. I'm not that kind of author that promises a personal chapter written just for them because they gave me the most stars! I really do cherish my work and work hard to make it better. On the other hand, if there is something wrong and someone points it out, I don't fight back, I accept, thank, fix and move on.

10 do you have any future projects?

I had another book called SUTHERLAND on wattpad for Nanowrimo 2019 but I found that while people loved it, I didn't want, my first ever story written as a teenager, up for everyone to read. I want to get in published so that one day, when I go to Indigo (Canadian version of Barnes & Nobles) I will see my beloved Sutherland on the shelves. As of right now, I'm focused on writing an outline for Sutherland and making my deadlines for Wreak HavocXo Kat

 As of right now, I'm focused on writing an outline for Sutherland and making my deadlines for Wreak HavocXo Kat