Chapter 93

O Holy Night – Carly Brothers

Something About December – Christina Perri

Try – Colbie Calliat

______________

For once when I step into the large and vast apartment, it's warm. The winter air being stripped from my skin with the rush of heat around me, pulling my jacket from my body I rest it on the coat rack next to the door and turn back to the apartment.

I stare at the lights white lights strung along the wall, the decent sized tree in the corner wrapped with lights and simple golden decorations. I slowly walk towards the fireplace absorbing the Christmas decorations.

Zayn walks in quietly behind me, bags in his arms that he refused to let me help carry. He quickly passes through the apartment, turning light on as he goes through to his room.

I glance around the wall next to the fireplace and find the switch with ease. Flipping it on the fire flickers to light, the gasoline fueling it below. Little heat radiates from it right now – but it slowly grows.

Zayn emerges from his bedroom with only one bag now. He walks towards the kitchen, unloading the groceries he had stored in them. I walk towards the kitchen, his actions and eyes focused on the food he puts onto the counter.

"You decorated." I note, nodding back towards the living room.

"Yeah, I did it before the housewarming party." He explains. I smile at him – his shady answer finally earning some light.

He walks around the kitchen, pulling out cutting boards, knives, pots and pans. I look over my shoulder momentarily staring out at the darkness. It's around 8 PM, seeing as it's winter the sun always disappears around six.

I watch Zayn as he begins taking vegetables and placing them onto the cutting board, filling a pot with water and setting it on the stove.

The ride over was quiet, Zayn had returned to the party a few minutes after Erica and mine's strange conversation. I didn't ask him questions, I just continued being a host and talking with everyone at the apartment.

Thankfully after our conversation Erica had left with Harry. Lindsay had told me about how her and Harry talked and he made her laugh – she is quite fond of him. More than I remember her being.

Sitting down at the counter I wait for Zayn to look over to me. Giving me a warm smile I relax into the seat and take a deep breath.

"So is this my Christmas gift? You cooking dinner for me?" I ask, folding my hands and resting them onto the countertop. I didn't mind this as a Christmas gift - it was actually nice to have something simple as a gift.

"Christmas dinner." He replies with a shrug.

"Do you want any help?" I quickly climb off of my seat and make my way towards the counter where the vegetables sit. He glances at me and shakes his head.

"No, I've got it."

"Well I'm not going to sit and watch you cook. I'll cut up the vegetables." I push my way in front of the cutting board and take the knife. Zayn doesn't object, he simply gifts a soft laugh and moves to the stove, cooking up some shrimp.

"So where did you disappear to?" I glance over my shoulder to see Zayn's back.

"Just had a phone call." He answers quietly. His tone is heavy and uninterested. I take a deep breath and force myself not to get too curious about it.

"Where's your laptop?" I ask, setting down the knife and turning around. I have seen Zayn's laptop only once – it's rarely out in plain sight.

"Why?" He glances at me before stirring the shrimp in the pan.