Chapter 41

(A/N: I was listening to Just Give Me A Reason by P!nk and I feel like the lyrics are perfect for Juliet and Zayn's relationship/situation! You should all go listen to it/read the lyrics to see if you agree!)

____________

The following day I wake up and slip into a large sweater and yoga pants. It's not a typical outfit for me – dressing down/comfortable, but after mine and Louis' talk yesterday I was kept up all night worrying about Zayn – more so than other nights. I'm too tired to do much with my hair so I pull it into a messy bun and head to class.

I take a longer time to walk to class today – preparing myself to see Zayn. Running through the possible scenarios that could occur. He could be angry, he could be flirtatious, he could ignore me, he could be distracting – that option was definite. He was always distracting.

The leaves are falling off the trees now that it's October. Only a few leaves lay on the ground and blow in the wind, but the trees are slowly losing their colors. A few brances weren't bare, they still had a few remaining golden and red leaves hanging onto the branch.

Hanging on for dear life, hanging on so they won't drop to the ground and blow away. In a way I feel this is me, hanging on to dear life. Holding on to hope, trying to keep from being dropped into the pit of confusion Zayn brought into my life.

I realize I've been staring at a tree outside the psych building for a while and shake my head, getting myself ready for whatever was to await me in class.

Walking into class I'm barely a few minutes early, which earns me a worried look from Mr. Collins. I give him a small smile before turning to the desks where Zayn sits, staring straight forward. I pause at the front of the classroom taking him in.

He is wearing a dark gray shirt that covers his chest completely, his leather jacket and dark pants. Looking just like he always does, having girls glancing at him like always. I quickly look him over - hopefully not noticeable. Lifting my head I walk past him to my seat next to him and do as he does. It begins to feel like the first time he came into class – not acknowledging each other.

"Alright class, I finally finished grading those tests so I'll hand those back. After looking over it for a few minutes we're going to lecture and wrap the class up with a short video." He announces to the class as he grabs a stack of papers.

I glance at Zayn who is staring straight forward still. I run a hand through my hair, thinking about starting a conversation but remembering Louis' words. I couldn't be the one to talk to him first. Getting my test back I see a red A on it and smile to myself.

"Good job Ms. Augustine, looks like studying is paying off. You two both got A's." Mr. Collins tells me as he turns to Zayn and puts his paper on Zayn's desk. Zayn glares at Mr. Collins as he continues to hand back tests but I ignore it as I smile down at my test.

Zayn doesn't say a word to me the rest of class though I can feel his gaze on me. Annoying since it makes me blush the entire class and I'm sure he was pleased with my reaction. I find myself hoping he's watching me to figure out what to say, but to no prevail he gets up and leaves when class ends.

I take a deep breath and make myself walk slowly out of class so I don't chase after him. Our fight couldn't have been that bad could it?

With a blink of an eye I'm somehow in Literature sitting next to Lindsay who is talking about Sarah's birthday party. I had completely forgotten that she had been there – seeing as she arrived after Zayn and I fought.

"Jules?" I turn to her as we begin to stand from our desks. I give her a blank look and she laughs. "Did you not hear what I said?"

"Er-uh... No." I admit shaking my head.