Chapter 26

Wrap My Mind Around You - Trent Dabbs

Almost Lover - A Fine Frenzy

___________

Zayn leads me through the house with ease. Knowing the layout like the back of his hand. We finally get close to the living room and I can hear the others chatting and laughing. Pausing at the hallway before people can see us he gives me an unsure look.

"I don't mind." I'm not sure if the unsure look was asking for permission for them to see us like this, but I didn't mind. Zayn chews on his lip for a moment, I hope I didn't make him feel obligated now to hold my hand in front of them.

"Fuck it, let them talk." I'm surprised but happy from his response as we take off down the stairs into the living room. One by one, everyone's eyes turn to us. Their eyes going directly to our intertwined fingers.

Though I feel embarrassed by the showing of PDA with Zayn, his touch soothes me. It reminds me that with him here, I don't care what people think. Let them talk... I don't care.

"Zayn didn't we find you and Juliet?" Louis speaks up, breaking the intense silence.

"Yeah." Zayn nods. A flash of heat crosses my face, do they know we were kissing? Did they tell the others?

"See! We won!" Louis laughs turning to Liam who just shakes his head with disagreement. I'm thankful for Louis, he immediately takes the attention off of Zayn and I, or at least attempts to.

"No you didn't! We found Harry! That was the hardest thing! He's like a ninja!" Liam defends. I forgot about Harry, I feel guilt ring through my heart as I slowly look for him. He's leaning by the window, his eyes focused on our hands. He doesn't convey any emotion, he just stares.

I want to pull my hand away, feeling awful doing this in front of him, whatever THIS was. But I can't, not because it'll set Zayn and I back but I don't want to let go of him, I know I'll end up feeling empty and miss his touch. Just like all the other times before.

"We won! Don't even start Liam! I'm starving, so buy us some dinner!" Niall demands. Danielle is laughing hysterically at the boys getting worked up over this. I enjoy this, boys acting like boys, nothing awkward... I look at Harry again, he's staring out the window and Sarah is next to him. I don't think they're saying anything, but then again it's hard to focus on anything with Zayn holding my hand.

Danielle rests a hand on Liam's back and he looks to her with a sad look that makes me want to laugh. She laughs and pats his back; all I can do is smile at the scene. This group of friends, they were the best group of friends to be with in college.

"I'll pay for dinner. Pizza sound good?" She glances around the room, her eyes linger on Zayn and I for a second but keep moving.

"Sounds great!" Niall answers for everyone with a loud laugh. Lindsay is smiling as she sits on the couch alone. I bring my free hand and touch Zayn's arm lightly.

He turns his head and looks at me, his eyes scanning over my face with curiosity. I give him a look I hope he understands and nod to Lindsay. He turns to look at her and I think he understands because when I release his hand he doesn't object, or look angry or hurt.

I instantly want to take his hand again but I don't want to be a bad friend to Lindsay. I make my way to the couch and sit down next to her, she instanlty welcomes my presence.

"Having fun?" I smile at her. The couch is low to the ground and all too comfortable. Though we've only been at the house for barely an hour, making it close to 5pm, I am exhausted. Mostly because of the emotional ride I went on.