Chapter 73

Battle Scars (Acoustic) – Paradise Fears

Sea of Lovers – Christina Perri

Human - Christina Perri

___________

Zayn POV

"It's a pleasure to meet you sir." I give the man a firm handshake. The elder man with slicked back dark hair gives a quick nod and walks away with his wife on his arm – or maybe it's his mistress. Many of these alumni are dirt bags that will do anything they want, which is why they are all so successful. Jonah claps my back with his hand as the man walks away with a smile.

"You know, you're quite the charmer when you want to be." Jonah laughs at the scene he had just witnessed. I hated meeting alumni, they were usually successful – the ones who return. They always seemed to want to shove their success down people's throats, which was fucking pathetic. But I usually attempt to ignore their bragging during my conversations with them.

I was in a good mood tonight – considering. There was no reason to make tonight a bad night, Juliet was here with me, we were together, she wasn't asking questions and it's not because she's angry with me.

This whole week I was in a fucking panic because of her. The first day in class I had expected her to ignore me, to glare at me – to demand answers to the restraining order. Instead she did a 180, having a casual conversation instead.

The whole week continued like that and the more she didn't ask questions the more stressed I got. I was almost certain she was getting ready to walk away, to end this mess of a life I dragged her into – but she didn't.

Tonight calmed all those thoughts that I couldn't control over the week. Her assurance that she wasn't angry, dancing together, agreeing to a fucking group date – we to talk about that, and the way she kissed me to let me know she was mine. All of it helped my panicked thoughts.

Though new panicked thoughts replaced those. Thoughts of why this girl was able to make me panic by simply not asking questions. Thoughts of why I was so scared this girl might walk away. Juliet was changing me for better or worse, and I had no control over it.

"You have no idea." I quip back with a quick smirk. He really didn't understand how charming I could be when I wanted to be. Jonah laughs and shakes his head. Jonah is the closes thing I've ever had to a father figure – not that I need one. I turned out... decent.

"So how on earth did Juliet convince you to come tonight?" Jonah asks, stepping in front of me. I rub my chin with amusement, if only he knew I was the one who asked her to come.

"Speaking of Juliet I should go find her." I reply, avoiding his question. Jonah frowns but doesn't disagree with my statement as I leave his side. I walk back towards the living room, most of the alumni Jonah wanted me to meet where on the upstairs balcony.

I slowly descend the stairs to meet halfway with Erica. She looks up at me with her typical smug smile. She looks fairly attractive; nowhere near how beautiful Juliet looks though.

"Zayn." She greets. Just by the sneer in her voice I feel my anger start to build.

"Who the hell did you convince to bring you?" I growl at her. If Juliet saw Erica I'm sure it would ruin the night. I want more than anything to just go grab Juliet and have a nice night.

"Harry." She nods over her shoulder.

I follow her nod to see Juliet and Harry walking out to the balcony. I narrow my eyes at Harry's back that disappears through the glass doors. I begin to walk past Erica but she reaches out a hand – pressing it against my stomach. I quickly push her hand away, her smirk falters momentarily but she quickly composes herself once again.