Chapter 91

Juliet POV

I don't sleep on the plane like I had last time. I just stare out the window and let my body relax. Zayn is staring at our hands, his thumb brushing over my hand in a comforting motion.

By the time we land it's very late in the day. The sun is no longer up and my body is wretchedly tired. Though I am quite starving – Zayn and I ended up eating his moms muffins when we got to the airport.

Thankfully Zayn decides to pull over at a restaurant before getting back to Boulder. The snow is thick now, the roads cleared but the piles of snow to the sides are possibly taller than I am.

I turn my phone on once we are in the restaurant and shoot my mom a text – letting her know we have landed safely and have stopped for dinner. My mom didn't text, she honestly didn't know how to reply to them, but she knew how to read them.

Wiping the tiredness from my eyes, I rest my elbows onto the table and stare at Zayn. He hasn't been in the best mood since we went to his family's house to say goodbye. I can imagine it's hard for him to say goodbye when he's flying back across to the other side of the world.

"Maybe they could all come out and visit... I'm sure Jonah and Elizabeth would love to have them here." I say in a quiet voice. Zayn looks up at me in confusion and I smile at him.

"My family?" He asks.

"Yes, of course." I laugh lightly at his question. I thought it was obvious. "I Just think that would be a nice place for them to stay." Even though Elizabeth is Zayn's dad's sister I feel she would be welcoming to Zayn and his family.

"Why would I want them to come visit?" He asks with confusion heavy in his eyes.

"I um... I just thought since you can't always go out there they could come out here." I shrug, feeling bad about bringing it up. Zayn reaches across the table and takes my hand.

"I'll visit them soon." He says with barely any emotion in his voice. I sense the lie right away but don't say anything.

I don't understand how he can love his family so much but at the same time he doesn't want to see them. I can't help but remember what Joshua had said to me... There's a lot of things you don't understand Juliet.

Chewing on my lip I stare at his hand, which still holds mine. No matter how weird and annoying he was... I'm starting to feel like he actually knows what he is talking about.

 ~ ~ ~

Zayn doesn't argue with me not staying with him tonight. I feel he needs time to... recuperate after the trip. Whether he admits it or not I know leaving his family holds some emotional baggage over him.

Sarah is already back at the apartment – she cut her trip short in order to be home when I got home. Smiling I walk into the apartment with my bags in hand. She's sitting on the couch with her laptop, scanning through an article of some sort before she notices me.

"Oh my God!" She squeals, jumping up from the couch she rushes towards me and hugs me.

I laugh and drop my bags in order to hug her back. Shutting the door with my foot I slowly release Sarah and look her over. Her blonde hair is shorter than when I left, a haircut along with some side bangs.

"Nice haircut." I smile, touching a strand of blonde hair.

"Thank you." She smiles. "So tell me everything!" She takes my hands and drags me towards the couch.

Sitting down next to each other but facing one another I let out a light breath. Crossing my legs under me I relax onto the couch and our heated apartment. No matter how unpleasant or pleasant the trip was – I was glad to be home.