Chapter 81

Groaning in frustration I feel my body begin to wake up. The air is freezing and the only warmth seems to be coming from the heated body wrapped around me. Smiling, I twist in his arms, cuddling to his warm side. Opening my eyes Zayn's eyes are shut tight, but a ghost of a smile on his lips.

"Morning." I mumble with a smile. After Thanksgiving I had driven back to Boulder and met Zayn at his apartment. We simply fell asleep in bed in the company of each other's presence.

"Morning." He sighs quietly. His hand slips under the shirt on my back, tracing patterns along my skin. I shiver at the warm contact, snuggling closer to his side.

"Your apartment is freezing." I laugh lightly, pressing a kiss to his chest.

"You're freezing actually." He mumbles, pulling me closer to him with a smile on his lips. My smile grows and I rest my head on his chest, spreading my hand across in front of my face.

I stare at my fingers in contrast to his muscular chest. Noticing all the dips and curves in his body, and yet again – that light scar.

"This wasn't supposed to happen." I mumble, closing my eyes and enjoying his hand rubbing along my back.

"You spending the night or me going to Thanksgiving?" He chuckles softly. I smile and continue to keep my eyes closed.

"Us." I mumble quietly. "You were supposed to forget about me." I claim softly. He was supposed to forget about me that night, that one night that seemed to change everything.

He doesn't respond – all I hear is his soft breathing and his heart beating. For a moment I think he may have fallen back asleep but his arms tighten around me and I feel his lips touch my forehead lightly.

"I could never forget about you." His words are quiet but speak so loudly to me. I bite back a grin and cuddle closer to him – if possible. I wrap my arms around his torso and tug myself to his body. Letting every muscle relax and mold to his shape.

"Is Sarah coming back today?" I open my eyes and look up at him. He still doesn't open his eyes when speaking.

"Yeah." I mumble. Sarah had flown home from Greece the day after Thanksgiving – I'm not sure why.

Usually they stay on vacation until the last day of the available days. But apparently the office was calling her dad home early or something like that, her text didn't make too much sense.

"Great." He sighs, tightening his grip around my body. I rest my head on his bare chest and let myself relax against his warm skin.

"So... My mom actually seemed to like you." For the most part, aside from the tattoos and idea that he might have hit me. I still don't know where that had come from, I can't imagine Kate finding out about the bruises – and if she had she must know they came from Derek.

"Really?" The corner of his lip tugs upwards into a beautiful smirk. I press a kiss on his jaw and hear him softly sigh and relax from the gesture.

"I think she'll be okay with me coming home with you for Christmas." I smile at him.

I had brought up last night the idea of possibly meeting Zayn's parents – I left out the idea of leaving the country to do so and I think my mom figured his parents lived in the U.S. since he lived here. She loved the idea about me meeting his parents though.

I feel Zayn's body tense at the mention of Christmas. I stare at his features which are stoic now, his eyes tightly shut. I slide my hand up his chest and rest it near my face. I don't say a word while Zayn quietly breathes.

"I got to take a shower. I have a few things to do today... Do you want me to go with you to get Sarah?" Zayn asks, he's suddenly out of the bed and walking towards the bathroom. I stare at the empty space of bed in front of me for a moment before slowly turning to see Zayn.