Chapter 82

No Light, No Light – Florence + the Machine

______________

I can't swallow, I can hardly manage to see straight. I was imagining this, I had to be because this made no sense at all.

"Hi Julie." His voice shakes, his hands stuffed into his pockets. It's enough to shake my from my state and from the hope this was my imagination.

All I can do is stare at him right now. What the hell was he doing here? Who does he think he is? Coming here after what he did the other night. How did he even find this place?

"What are you doing here?" I say in the most sharp and rude tone I can manage. His light green eyes look to me in desperation. There is bruising around his face and I see a smug look take over Sarah's face.

Sarah continues to stand between us – as if Matt try to pass by and get to me. She stands her ground and folds her arms.

"Julie I-I-I came to talk, to apologize." He mumbles. "I made a mistake last night and I-"

"You've been doing that a lot lately." My words bite and I see it - he almost flinches at them. I feel a slight pang of guilt – the Matt before me was the one I grew up with, not the crazed one from last night.

"I know I just-"

"She said she didn't want to talk to you." Sarah snaps at him. I give her a warning look – I didn't want Sarah to get in the middle of this. It was enough guilt knowing I messed up whatever friendship they had while we were dating.

I sigh and shake my head. Closing my eyes for a moment I rub between my eyes to relieve some stress. Letting my shoulder relax – forcing them too I glance around our empty apartment that is actually not that empty anymore.

Slowly turning back to the ordeal at my doorstep I sigh again. Sarah continues to glare at Matt who's eyes are sheepishly staying down to the ground.

"Sarah, give us a minute?" I ask quietly. Sarah spins around, her blonde hair flipping over her shoulder as she looks to me with wide eyes.

"What?" She almost shrieks at me. "You're not seriously about to talk to him are you Jules?" She demands.

"Sarah, don't even start." Matt snaps at her. I widen my eyes at his words – a cold and rude tone I didn't expect.

"No, don't even try Matt." Sarah snarls at him, her eyes growing with anger. The two vehemently stare at one another – glaring is more accurate.

"Matt, let's talk outside." I mumble – attempting to break their angry tension.

I pass by Sarah – I can feel her eyes glaring at me. I shut the door behind us and nod for him to follow me. I don't want to talk in the hallway and make a scene, so I lead Matt downstairs to the small lobby our complex has.

Matt tugs his jacket closer to him as he follows me. I sit down on the couch in the middle of the lobby and nod for him to sit across from me. He doesn't argue when he sits and watches me.

We stare at each other a moment. Actually, I stare at him and he stares down at the tiled ground. The air slowly fills with the tension. I feel a weight on my chest and a burning in my chest of anger and hurt.

How dare he come here, how dare he come here after what he did. Why would he do such a thing? Was it not clear that he had crossed a line last night? I had walked away – I walked away from him on the porch and he should know that meant I was done.

"I don't know why you're here Matt, but I'm not forgiving you and we're never going to be friends again." My tone cold and harsh – surprising me. He lowers his eyes and clears his throat.