Chapter 36

Impossible - Shontelle

Home - Gabrielle Aplin

__________

I wake up the next morning in my bed, feeling the strange familiar sense that I miss and despise. The house is quiet and I know my parents have already left for work.

I change into some of my work out clothes and decide to take a run, for the most part I just want to get out of the house. It's very early in the morning, the sun has just risen and the air is frigid. I tug at the sleeves of my Nike running jacket and regret wearing shorts.

Once I start running the heat runs through my body keeping making me warm - thankfully. I jog the familiar route around my neighborhood.

I listen to music, blaring it through my headphones so I won't be alone with my thoughts. It doesn't help though, I'm still worried about Zayn, I'm worried about the possibility of seeing Matt...

Breathing hard I slow my jog as I near my house once again but from the opposite way I started. I had almost made the full loop around the neighborhood. My feet slowly stop in front of a light blue house a few blocks away from mine. I stare at it, wondering if he's inside.

There were so many memories of this house, from when we were small children to now.

Playing in the yard, chasing each other around, laughing and throwing mud at each other, watching movies in there with him, the fight we had outside his house - the break up. I bite my lip and turn, walking the rest of the way back to the house.

As I walk into the warmth of the house I pause in the hallway and examine the pictures hanging on the walls. There are several pictures within a frame - all within a certain period of time.

The first picture frame is centered around the time of my birth. There is a picture of me in my mom's arm in the hospital room. She looks beautiful, her hair isn't a mess like you would expect - there are a few stray hairs and sweat lining her forehead though. Other than that though she looks like she would on any other day - aside from the hospital gown.

Then there's me in her arms, I look like any new born baby, a pink, pudgy, crying mess. And then there's my dad. Who is smiling next to her - a perfect family moment.

There's another at the hospital of my dad staring down at me in such a loving way. My dad was always my favorite. He always seemed to be more understanding and supporting - in a positivie way. I was a father's daugther no doubt.

I slowly look at the other pictures in the frame. I come to one of my first birthday. I sit on my mom's lap, a small birthday cone on my head.

The one next to it is of my Aunt Kate hugging my dad and I. She looked like my dad a lot - considering they were siblings it was understandable. She shared his dark hair and chocolate eyes.

Kate was my favorite relative - from what I can remember of her. I haven't seen her since I turned 15, about two and a half years ago. My mom never really liked her or approved of Kate, which was why she rarely visited.

But that's only because Kate was the crazy one in the family. She was big into partying through her twenties and still isn't married. She was only a year or so younger than my dad, mid 30s now, but she was still having the time of her life.

She always wanted to party and have a good time, her and Sarah would have been two peas in a pod. Strangely enough Sarah did remind me of Kate in ways. They were both carefree and had a smile on their face - trying to live their life the way they wanted.

The next frame holds pictures from elementary school and I easily spot the pictures with Matt in them. He was still in my life - he was a huge part of it no matter how much I ignore it. He was in my house... in these pictures, in my memories, part of who I was today.