Chapter 89

(A/N: Oh my gosh your guys' theories and guesses on the last chapter! Laughing so hard :) Love them all! The one and only time Nate is mentioned before this is in Chapter 64 (if you need to read it again). PS Juliet's dinner dress to the side!)

All of Me – John Legend

Thin Air – Aqualung (Absolutely love this one!)

All I Want – Ellie Goulding (Cover)

Kiss Me – Ed Sheeran

Moments – One Direction

Little Things – One Direction

______________

Christmas morning. The feeling of waking up right now is completely different than I'm used to. Usually there is a sweet aroma of pancakes and bacon in the air, the quiet sounds of my mom cooking and my dad talking with Jeremy.

Instead there is a quiet hum of the heater in the hotel room, clean sheets that are not as soft as the ones at home in my bedroom are wrapped around my body, and a tight arm wound around my waist.

Dim light peaks through the curtains, the quiet sounds of people passing our door seep through and leave whispering echoes in our room.

I have yet to ask or even tell Zayn about the incident with Nate on the street. After Eleanor and I made our way around the corner she was begging me on the verge of tears not to say a word to Zayn. Seeing her this desperate and panicked I agreed.

Zayn's arm feels heavier than usual as it's slung around my waist, holding me to his body. Sleeping has been unavailable to my body lately – any decent sleep that is, questions of Nate swarm my head.

I try my best to ignore the thoughts and curiosities, knowing that if Eleanor was so freaked out by what happened I should leave it alone... And that's what I have done for the past few days.

It's easier to forget about what happened when Zayn is smiling at me, giving me loving stares and passionate kisses all over Bradford. The time has been beautiful here but the nauseating feeling of going to Zayn's house this morning is what wakes me for the most part.

Zayn has left me in the company with Louis several times this trip to see his family with Eleanor – usually only visiting for an hour or so before he comes back. I see the strain I'm putting on him though.

I see how it's hard for him to balance between his family and I. I catch the sometimes sad looks he gives when he's back at the hotel room – but they always brighten up when he notices me watching.

I know I put this on him, not being able to get along with his family. I'm going to do my best today – to be the polite and perfect daughter my mom raised me to be.

~ ~ ~

I shift the gifts in my arms, trying to balance them as I get out of the car. Zayn steps towards me to help me but I shake my head – telling him not to help. Not having free hands will make me feel better when Trisha doesn't hug me.

Zayn rests a hand on the small of my back and leads me into the house. I take calming breaths and keep positive thoughts in my head – forcing a bright smile on my face when we enter the large heated house.

I can hear faint Christmas music playing throughout the house, quiet chattering echoing into the hallways and laughter that makes my smile a little less forced. Following Zayn into the living room I pause at the doorway and take in my surroundings.

A large and healthy Douglas Fir tree sits in the corner of the room, wrapped in lights, decorations and tinsel. I notice the neatly wrapped presents underneath the tree, all in solid colors that are shiny.