How You Get The Girl

(Lia where are u)

~~~~~

He was not sure how he ended up here. One second he was going through the photographs in his room and now here he was, standing like a ghost, shaking from the rain.

At her front door.

He had gone through one photograph of him and Elsa kissing in the snow, captured by his mother. That was only then he'd realized how much he yearned for that kind of affection, from her. When old flames redinkled when he least expected. The moment he knew that leaving her all alone and wondering why he did, was the most foolish thing he'd done.

He messed up, he knew he did. He screwed her over without giving a reason. Just one simple text message telling her it's over, and no communication after that. For six whole months. He thought he must have lost his mind for ever deciding to leave her like that. He didn't even expect he'd leave. He'd just been mentally exhausted to make time for her, and he thought she never deserved that. He didn't want to deal with anything at the moment, and work was draining him that he couldn't even type a single "goodnight" text to her. He considered just taking a break, but what if Elsa found someone better than him during that? What if he exhausts her patience and she finds someone who can actually do their duties and obligations as a lover that he himself is too exhausted to do? He loved her, so much.. but he thought she deserved better. More attention and he wasn't emotionally, mentally available at that moment.

So he let her go, and it was the worst decision he'd ever done. Well, atleast now she's probably found someone who can love her the same way he did, and still does.

But that wasn't enough for him. It made things worse. He needed to see her, he needed her. He needs to tell her what he's been dying to for months.

And it's about time because she'd just opened the door.

Her eyes widened in shock, and it seemed like she'd seen a ghost. He did look like shit, and he admits it.

Memories flashed through Elsa's mind like a hurricane coming to get her, like walls that came tumbling back down after putting up so much time to put them up. And somehow, she felt a spark within the both of them.

"Are you insane?! Do you even realize that you're gonna get yourself sick?!" Elsa scolded, just like the moments he missed dearly. She looked cute scolding him for his pranks and she would pout if he never took her seriously.

Jack's heart raced. This was it. She responded. He can't come running back to his place like a coward, getting soaked over nothing.

"Hey, uh.. it's.. been a long six months." Jack stated akwardly, and Elsa gave him a glare. If he was here for closure, she would have none of it. He broke up with her and cut off all sorts of contact, leaving her crying in her bedroom for weeks.

That didn't mean she stopped loving him, so she stayed at the front door waiting for him to say more.

But he seemed like he was too afraid to tell her what he wanted. He's having trouble getting up the nerve to say a word. He took the hoodie's hood off his head and revealed the silver white hair that she's always loved. The shade of cobalt blue looking at her cerulean pools. Regret met disgruntled, anxiety met confusion.

He gulped, and took a step towards her, the roof of the front porch shading him from the rain.

"Elsa.." he began. Elsa remembered that tone all too well. She always loved it when he says her name like that, so simple yet so full of affection..

"I doubt you're gonna take me back, but I want you, for worse or for better Els. I'd wait for you to atleast forgive me. Even if it takes forever. And ever." He took a step closer. "I know that I broke your heart six months ago, but I'm here to put it all back together, and I would wait for you. Even if it takes a hundred years, centuries, I don't care. I want you, Elsa."

Elsa was taken aback, her glare softened a bit. Her mind was telling her that his words were illusions that lead to delusions that he loved her more than anything.

And her heart, her damn heart that beats for him, and him only. Even after getting shattered by the same hands that held it close, it beats for him, and she'd doubt it would beat for anyone else. Screaming for her to run up to him and give him a chance, but her mind was pulling her back.

"Do you.. remember how it used to be?" He asks. Ofcourse she did. She remembered the way they dance around the kitchen, with only the refrigerator light on. She remembers the discarded photos that held a core memory to her even if it eventually fades to ashes. She kept one photo that she liked, she was beaming at the camera and his lips were on her cheek, with his eyes closed.

She remembers it all too well.

"I-I must've lost my mind back then.. I was.. things were draining me, and I'm mentally, emotionally exhausted from everything and I couldn't.. I couldn't spend time with you anymore. I wanted to be alone and give myself a break from everything.. that's why I left.. with no reason to give you whatsoever.. but I love you, Els. Believe me when I say that. I just- I just feel so drained and.. I just wanna focus on myself, I guess. I wanna have a well-deserved break from everything.. and I haven't properly.. grieved for my parents. But I'm getting better now. I've been seeking professional help for about.. five months now. It's doing well, thank goodness."

Elsa stared at him as she took it all in. She understood now. How he left her with only a text message, and nothing else. How almost no one physically saw him for months, no sign of him in the streets, not even at the park where he'd always go to on a daily basis. Just nothing.

"I could have waited for you." She finally spoke, after minutes of silence. Jack looked down, looked anywhere else that wasn't those eyes that seemed hurt. No, she was hurt. "I could have given you time to focus on yourself. You could have told me and I'd understand."

"You could've found someone else already." He mittered under his breath, but she heard him loud and clear despite the sound of the rain pouring down.

Now she was hurt. "Do you really think of me that way? That I could replace you easily like I don't love you enough to be able to wait for you? Is that it, Jack?" She weakly cried out, her voice breaking and the lump in her throat was getting harder to swallow. "Do you doubt me?"

Now it was Jack's turn to look hurt. "Elsa, no.. that's not what it is.  I-I just thought you deserved better than someone who couldn't even text his girlfriend goodnight for goodness' sake.. you deserved someone who's healed from the past. Someone mature, and someone who doesn't push your buttons most of the time, just.." Tears brimmed his eyes. And it shattered her heart more than anything.

"Someone who's not me.." he finished. "I'm just damaged goods, Elsa. I can't offer you anything more. But I love you."

And right now, the exact moment, was when she finally lets go of her fears, and her heart was ready to be held by the same hands again. The same hands that doesn't think it's worthy enough to get a hold of hers.

"That was enough for me still, wasn't it?" Elsa responded, a slight smile forming on her lips.

Right here and then, she wants him. And looking into her eyes, he knew she doesn't want him to leave.

And so she ran towards him, a genuine smile on her face that she hasn't done for months, and when their bodies clashed against one another and familiar arms wrapped around hers, like an old safe haven she'd been exiled from, it was all okay now.

Elsa didn't care if his wet hoodie soaked her clothes, all that mattered was the fool that held her. It didn't matter if he'd been foolish back then, he was hers. He'd always been hers.

"You're so stupid.." she laughed against the crook of his neck. "So, so stupid.."

"But you love me.." Jack whispered in her ear, as he held her close like she'd vanish to thin air if he ever let go.

Elsa pulled back to look at him, his whole being was wet, soaked from the rain. She missed the feeling of having him close to her, cold to the touch yet felt so warm. Their foreheads touched, and rain poured down both of them.

"Ofcourse I do.."

Then, their lips captured each other, longing and affectionate.

And that's how it works,
That's how you got the girl..

~~~~

Well- that was some slight angst..