Chloe's Book Reviews {CLOSED...

By ChloeLeia561

Hey beautiful writers, if you would like a free book review, make sure to fill out the form inside. I give c... More

Welcome/Forms
Waiting List
The Mafia's Revenge
Into The Forest
Reluctant Companions- Book 2 of the Misfits and Magic series
A Future Without Fear
SACRED THE ORIGINALS
Death in the Woods
Traveling Salesman: Astronomgonist
Mellifluous
Beneath the Pink Iron Veil
LOVE STAINS
A.P.D (Animal Police Department) Druglords, Murderers, Donuts
The Chosen
Warriors stars of Blood
Mute Angel from Heaven
The Legend Of Hades (Book One)
Haunted Kiss
Defying Alpha
Sakura Eyes
Outside the Box
Inside the Jar
Hey, Death
Gentlemen Only
The Voyage at Heart
A Thousand Details
Ten Confessions of a Serial Killer
Dying for Time
How It All Goes
She Was Planned But He Was A Surprise
The Perks Of Being A Human
Bittersweet Ending
Leonardo
Just Stay For Me
The untold story of the pack
Falling for Mr. Right
Sixteen
The Mobstar (Mafia Rom-Com)
Rules and Roses
Maryn
THE WRONG GIRL (Blossom High School Series)
Philophobe
UnRuly
My little El
Unorthodox (BOOK 1)
Rain of Winter
The Beard
Bromeliad's Sting
The Dark Knight's Angel
Always yours
Slay All Snakes
Calytrix's Journey
Into The Glades
After Friday Night
That Pivotal Moment
The S Girl
After I Fall
A Sacrifice to Remember
The Mark of a Mate
Walking the Gallows
The Progress
Just Dreaming
Wish You Were Gay
The Wings of Storm
Renegade
The Fall of Mangiatorvi
The Last Philosopher
She Falls to the Sky
Alacrimia
Ocean Blue Eyes
Hamilton High Blood
The Missing Gem
A Kiss for Maya
When the good boy meets the whore
Matt Miracle
A Storm on the Mountain
Make A Wish
Paralyzed Love
No One Knows You Like I Do (Dawko x 8-Bitryan)
Unstoppable
The Feeling Underneath
His Aries Side
Bonds And Bones
Friendships And Other Disasters
Falling For Royalty
The Baltic Sanction Lex Jackson: Book One
The Perfect Harmony
My England
End of the Tunnel
Moonlight Kingdom
Touch: Saving Ai
Tale of a fading reflection
Ugly Bones
Sanity
DESTINED QUEEN
Nightcrawler |Yoonmin|
Undercover Babe
We Were Liars
Vacation with the player
A Song for Dawn
Saving Emily
Battle of Retention
The Reunion: Decagrace
Blooming Flower
All I ever wanted was you {Book One}
I still want you {Book Two}
Shy Walking Shadows {Book One}
Aronville
The Catfish
His lucky charm
TAINTED LOVE (Racer x CEO)
Death's Embrace
DOWNWORLD BOND - SIMON LEWIS
His Life Changer
Tales from a Jaded writer
The Murder In The Temple
Please read
Feedback
Currently Closed

14 Days

134 13 27
By ChloeLeia561

                                                              (Bookworms Community Reviews) 

Author: @pettysmut

Chapters: 3 chapters

Genre: Short Story/ LGBTQ

Specific: Everything

Cover-

I like your cover of the boy smelling flowers. It's simple. I don't know what the story is about just by the cover, but we shouldn't always judge a book by its cover.

My impression is that I always imagine a girl receiving flowers from her lover and smelling them. Maybe the roles are reversed, and since this is LGBTQ, this could be a hidden concept within the cover.

Blurb-

"In which two boys fall in love within 14 days."

I find this to be a little too short for a blurb. A blurb is supposed to attract the readers to choose your book out of the thousands here on Wattpad.

I would suggest adding a little more information about the main character and a little about what happens during the story but not revealing too much.

Grammar-

(Prologue)

There is nothing wrong with the words you have used here. I would, however, place the words differently in this sentence to make it sound better.

Your example...

"...a woman came up to them and pulled gently his mother away."

A suggestion would be...

"...a woman came up to them and gently pulled his mother away.

 ✿

This sentence sounds lovely and beautiful as if it should be a metaphor, but it took me a few minutes to understand the meaning. Sometimes adding simple, yet efficient words make the sentence appear clearer.

Your example...

"Petals dripping with melancholy bloomed from every pore on his flesh..."

I think I might be a little dumb, but I couldn't understand this sentence, and I even tried to split it up.

"Petals dripping..." - I think maybe you meant "Petals fell..." because petals don't drip.

"Melancholy" can be sadness and sorrow. So, the petals fell with sadness.

"Bloomed" is more of a happy word when flowers bloom, they start to grow, so adding that contradicts "melancholy."

I don't understand how they grew from his pores on his skin.

I would just reword this sentence but try to keep the same meaning.

My suggestion would be...

"The petals fell one by one on his shoulders. The edges started to curl up, making them appear lifeless and old."

You don't have to use my example. I'm just trying to explain that simple is good too and makes it easier for the readers to understand rather than using fancy words, which makes the text harder.

Your example...

"Mourns escaped his lips now and then..."

I think you mean moans here.

Mourning is an action or something you do when somebody dies but it doesn't fit this context.

You can say...

"Sobs escaped his lips..."

"Blue wept..."

"Moans escaped his lips now and then, while the whole church mourned for his brother..."

(Chapter one)

I did notice that some of your sentences feel a little awkward. You misplace the word with another that doesn't fit the context.

Your example...

"Slowly, they were dancing their way down till they reach the ends of his pale body before splattering against the grass beneath his shoes."

A suggestion would be...

"The sweat that lined his forehead slithered down his cheeks until it reached his jawline, dropping and wetting his thin shirt."

(Something easy that readers can imagine since sweat doesn't dance)

Your example...

"He wanted nothing more than to beat him up till he's dead, then beaten up again when he meets London up there."

This sentence could be reworded to sound clearer.

My suggestion would be...

"He wanted nothing more than to beat him to a pulp and wait for London to get his hands on him up in heaven."

beat to a pulp- means beaten badly.

(Chapter Two)

Your example...

"He hesitated, sauntering his way towards Blue who still had not to notice him approaching."

Again, this sentence seems awkward to read.

I would consider rewording it.

My suggestion would be...

"He hesitated, sauntering his way towards Blue who hadn't noticed him approaching."

Your example...

"The round ball of chocolate placed in the centre of his eyes..."

I know what you meant, but you can reword this to make it clearer.

My suggestion...

"His chocolate-like eyes were visible due to the light shimmering above them, making them appear bigger than usual."

Character Development/ plot –

Your prologue is tense, that's for sure. I loved it. It kept me intrigued. It starts to raise questions about why he hates his aunt. Why did his brother kill himself?

I like how you incorporated the mysterious boy at the end. It's a little weird as to why he is watching him in a graveyard, but I'm sure all the answers will be revealed.

I know you commented about how people have said the pace is too fast, but maybe they meant if you gave some more details and fleshed parts out a little more, this could help.

The prologue and chapter one is quite short, while chapter two is a lot longer than the other two. I would try to make them roughly the same word count or have an average, just so it's not so choppy going from one short chapter to a long one.

Blue has a lot of anger inside him obviously, and you show that well. I'm not sure about Chance yet as I've only read three chapters, but things look promising of their friendship between them too. I'm intrigued to see how they fall in love because they seem fairly opposite when they met at the graveyard.

I like that they aren't complete strangers and that they both share a common bond with London.

I find the names that you have chosen to be unique and some people love unique names, but I find it hard to connect with somebody called Apple, for example. I just prefer what I call proper names, London is fine. (That's just my opinion)

Overall Enjoyment-

Your prologue got me hooked, I like the storyline, but the following two chapters after were less tense. It was like the prologue made an impact, but the rest didn't have anything exciting happening. I wanted to know more about London and why he committed suicide. Why does Blue hate his aunt and blame her for the death of his brother? (I know I might find out in the following chapters, but a suggestion would be to have something in those two chapters as a link, trailing the readers along for the ride, so they don't get bored)

I have nothing bad to say about your punctuation, that's pretty clean.

Your main focus is on grammar and your syntax structure. Some sentences sounded awkward, you either have to reword them differently, or you used the wrong word for the context written.

A tip would be to read your sentences out loud to see if they sound clear to you. If you stumble over words or the sentence doesn't flow, then you know you have a problem. Or have someone read it to you and check your work for you. (beta reader)

You have potential, and I believe you can do great things. I like to encourage writers, whilst pointing out their faults, so I hope my review can help you in some way.

Keep up the great work!

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Feel free to not take my suggestions, but if you do, I hope you find them useful.

Thank you for letting me review your book. Please check "14 days" if you've got time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.5M 297K 23
Alexander Vintalli is one of the most ruthless mafias of America. His name is feared all over America. The way people fear him and the way he has his...
221K 11.1K 90
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...
28.8M 915K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...