The Reunion: Decagrace

* This review may contain spoilers * 

Username: bibliophiliabelle 

Genre: Romance/ New Adult / Mystery 

Chapters: 5 chapters 

Specific: N/A 

Book 

Cover - 

The cover fits the mystery sort of vibe. It actually reminds me of "Pretty Little Liars" because it centres around a group of friends and something happens one horrible night. 

Blurb - 

The blurb isn't that bad. You have all the right parts and components but needs a little readjusting. For example, it would look cool if the second paragraph came first, briefly introducing the characters. 

Grammar - 

(Chapter Two) 

It's good that you include some speech tags, but it would also be nice to include some action tags, especially during the office scene when he is discussing with Sylvester. It's harder for the reader to digest when there are just chunks of narration or dialogue without description. 

For example, the paragraph beginning with, "How are we going to manage the finance for this event?" He rambles on for the rest of the paragraph, just pure dialogue of him talking to himself when you could add some action to show that he is fumbling around. Like he could be fumbling with papers, notes or trying to find his glasses. What does he even look like? One way of getting action tags in is by combining them with his appearance. (He takes a pause, tightening his tie around his neck) etc... 

(Chapter Three) 

Since chapter one, I've noticed you like writing simple sentences and you tend to over-repeat things in the following sentences that we already know. 

For example...

{Example from chapter one} 

"But tonight is different than all other nights. Tonight I can't enjoy the emptiness of the night. The darkness is undeniably extreme tonight. The darkness didn't belong to this night, it belong to my past. The past from which I'm trying to run away from." 

The first sentence talks about tonight. Followed by how empty it feels. The third sentence talks about how it feels but on an extreme level. Followed by how the darkness didn't feel right on this particular night and how it relates to the past. The final sentence relates to her past; we already know that she is trying to escape it. 

This could be rephrased and take up less space by making your sentence structure complex, rather than running around in circles. (I don't know how else to describe it). 

A suggestion could be something like this...

{"The blackness of the night is different than any other as the emptiness soaks into my bones. My past keeps haunting me, and wherever I go, the darkness follows. It taunts me with its tantalising ways, but one day, I will outrun it. I have to."} 

Note - My example is in the present tense. Because you switch between the two throughout the chapters, you have to pick which tense you feel more comfortable with. 

It's not the best example, but I'm a sucker for descriptions. I've used compound sentences to put all I want to say in three sentences and each sentence roughly pushes the story forward.