Chloe's Book Reviews {CLOSED...

By ChloeLeia561

Hey beautiful writers, if you would like a free book review, make sure to fill out the form inside. I give c... More

Welcome/Forms
Waiting List
The Mafia's Revenge
Into The Forest
Reluctant Companions- Book 2 of the Misfits and Magic series
A Future Without Fear
SACRED THE ORIGINALS
Death in the Woods
Traveling Salesman: Astronomgonist
Mellifluous
Beneath the Pink Iron Veil
LOVE STAINS
A.P.D (Animal Police Department) Druglords, Murderers, Donuts
The Chosen
Warriors stars of Blood
Mute Angel from Heaven
The Legend Of Hades (Book One)
Haunted Kiss
Defying Alpha
Sakura Eyes
Outside the Box
Inside the Jar
14 Days
Hey, Death
Gentlemen Only
The Voyage at Heart
A Thousand Details
Ten Confessions of a Serial Killer
Dying for Time
How It All Goes
She Was Planned But He Was A Surprise
The Perks Of Being A Human
Bittersweet Ending
Leonardo
Just Stay For Me
The untold story of the pack
Falling for Mr. Right
Sixteen
The Mobstar (Mafia Rom-Com)
Rules and Roses
Maryn
THE WRONG GIRL (Blossom High School Series)
Philophobe
UnRuly
My little El
Unorthodox (BOOK 1)
Rain of Winter
The Beard
Bromeliad's Sting
The Dark Knight's Angel
Always yours
Slay All Snakes
Calytrix's Journey
Into The Glades
After Friday Night
That Pivotal Moment
The S Girl
After I Fall
A Sacrifice to Remember
The Mark of a Mate
Walking the Gallows
The Progress
Just Dreaming
Wish You Were Gay
The Wings of Storm
Renegade
The Fall of Mangiatorvi
The Last Philosopher
She Falls to the Sky
Alacrimia
Ocean Blue Eyes
Hamilton High Blood
The Missing Gem
A Kiss for Maya
When the good boy meets the whore
Matt Miracle
A Storm on the Mountain
Make A Wish
Paralyzed Love
No One Knows You Like I Do (Dawko x 8-Bitryan)
Unstoppable
The Feeling Underneath
His Aries Side
Bonds And Bones
Friendships And Other Disasters
Falling For Royalty
The Baltic Sanction Lex Jackson: Book One
The Perfect Harmony
My England
End of the Tunnel
Moonlight Kingdom
Touch: Saving Ai
Tale of a fading reflection
Ugly Bones
DESTINED QUEEN
Nightcrawler |Yoonmin|
Undercover Babe
We Were Liars
Vacation with the player
A Song for Dawn
Saving Emily
Battle of Retention
The Reunion: Decagrace
Blooming Flower
All I ever wanted was you {Book One}
I still want you {Book Two}
Shy Walking Shadows {Book One}
Aronville
The Catfish
His lucky charm
TAINTED LOVE (Racer x CEO)
Death's Embrace
DOWNWORLD BOND - SIMON LEWIS
His Life Changer
Tales from a Jaded writer
The Murder In The Temple
Please read
Feedback
Currently Closed

Sanity

19 6 11
By ChloeLeia561

* This review may contain spoilers * 

Username: -saeris 

Genre: Romance/ mystery in Fanfiction

Chapters: 5 chapters 

Specific: Is it interesting enough and a page-turner for readers? Or is it slow? How can I make things better? What major problems are there?

Book  

Cover - 

I like the cover. It's simple and fits in with this particular Fanfiction. 

Blurb - 

I thought more could be added to the blurb. It's too brief, and although I read five chapters, I wouldn't have gotten anything from the blurb. I know I've only read five chapters, but there needs to be a correlation between the blurb and the story. 

From the first five chapters, these are the points I gathered: 

- Taehyung works as a prosecutor in an office with his best friend who is an investigator. 

- His girlfriend is mysteriously sick and we don't know why. 

- They both need to talk as a couple rather than lie and hide things from each other. 

The blurb you have at the moment is too vague. 

Your blurb...

"A boy who's trauma bonded to a soul, he can't seem to move on from. A girl who's burning out little by little while paying for her sin of mere existence." 

You don't introduce any of the main characters. What's the trauma related to? I don't understand the 'bonded to a soul' part. 

The girl is 'burning out little by little,' so I'm guessing her mystery illness could be from exhaustion. Perhaps she is lying and keeping a secret about a sin she has committed. (This is what I assume anyway). 

The blurb sort of has to be blunt and straightforward because the readers aren't mind readers. It's easy as an author to know what the story/plot is about because they wrote it, but as a reader, they are starting from point zero. That's why a blurb is important to entice and let the reader know what the book is about. 

A suggestion would be to introduce the main characters and give a glimpse of what the plot is about. Where is the setting? What is his job? Then add some sort of conflict, and perhaps pose a question or cliffhanger at the end that gets the reader guessing. It could be related to him being wrongly accused (this ties it back to the prologue). 

Grammar - 

(Chapter One) 

Your example...

"That man who refuses to tell his name." 

Instead of "tell his name," you could use 'say his name.'

Your example would work if it's displayed like this... "That man who refuses to tell me his name." 

A suggestion could be... 

"That man who refuses to say his name." 

So both suggestions could work depending on a few details. 

(Chapter Two)

Your example...

"With my thoughts flying out of the window, I slammed the door open." 

I would consider using a different word to replace 'slammed.' 'Slammed' means to shut with force, like you can slam the door shut, but you can't slam a door open. I would use another variation to the word open. (Heaved, pulled, tugged or opened with force could be examples). 

A suggestion could be...

"With my thoughts flying out of the window, I opened the door with force." 

Sometimes simple is better. 

Punctuation - 

(Chapter One)

Your example...

"I wish I could go home too," he let out a sigh..." 

This is a very minor issue, but there should be a comma before 'too.' 

A suggestion would be...

"I wish I could go home, too," he let out with a sigh..." 

Character Development / plot - 

(Prologue) 

This was a hooking start as we come to learn that he's being held as a prisoner, and I'm guessing he's being held unfairly. The tables have turned on him since he was once a prosecutor himself. Now he's feeling what it's like to be behind bars. 

You do a good job showing the emotions he is going through while he mentally and physically adjusts to his situation. 

(Chapter One) 

In contrast to the previous chapter, this one was a little more mellow. There's a little mystery surrounding the investigators and the death of a woman. I would like to know more about that, which I assume will be addressed more in the following chapters. 

I like seeing the interaction between Taehyung and his wife. I was half expecting something to happen to keep me on the edge of my seat, but nothing happened. I don't know why, but when he was choking on the food, I thought it was because his wife had poisoned him - that would have been a twist and a half. *Gone Girl vibes* 

I am curious as to why she has to feel that she has to please him so much. She seems like she suffers from low-self esteem and lacks confidence in being a wife. 

(Chapter Two) 

I'm surprised to learn that Jimin is Areum's brother. It makes sense that he would be concerned and protective of his sister, and that explains the relationship between him and Taehyung. 

I'm wondering what illness Areum has. I'm getting a feeling it's more than a cold/flu. You do a good job of building suspense, hinting that there is something more going on under the surface and I can't wait to find out what it is. 

It's understandable that Taehyung is worried and concerned about his girlfriend, but at times I found their relationship hot and cold. Areum keeps things from Taehyung, and I'm getting the impression that he walks on eggshells around her, (the phone conversation where he didn't want to wake her up because he wanted her to rest and tried his best not to make her upset or on edge). It was a nice gesture, but it made her situation worse and Areum's reaction was unexpected. 

(Chapter Three) 

Pregnancy was the initial thought I had but then I thought that would be a little too obvious. She had lost a lot of weight in a few weeks, so I didn't think that this was common. 

I'm still trying to work out where the prologue fits into all this. 

(Chapter Four) 

It was nice to see a different perspective - Park Jimin. It's obvious he is a hardworking investigator that works overtime. Is that because he doesn't have a 'family life' compared to Taehyung and he tries to block out the loneliness. 

So, from what I understand, Taehyung wants to start a family, but his girlfriend doesn't want to right now. She is waiting for the right time due to her ambitions. She doesn't want children to get in the way. This is somewhat relatable. 

I really like how you go into detail about Taehyung and Areum's relationship. I want to know more about Taehyung's family life when he was younger since he's always held on to wanting unconditional love. You also mentioned in the blurb about his trauma. 

(Chapter Five) 

I have to say, this chapter had to be the most gripping chapter out of the five chapters as a whole. I love the contrast of how he plans the perfect date. The anticipation. The suspense. I love the romantic vibe you have going on and the little brief moments of their past that you subtly bring in (her favourite restaurant she saw in passing and the type of person she is by preferring food over flowers). 

You left me wanting more after the unexpected cliffhanger. I did have a weary feeling that things weren't going to go as planned. 

Overall Enjoyment - 

I enjoyed the prologue and the fifth chapter the most. They were the most compelling and gripping. There's nothing wrong with the other chapters, but you focused a lot on them as a couple. I didn't know how the prologue would fit in with the story/plot until the cliffhanger in the fifth chapter. 

I believe things start to get more exciting after chapter five. 

Things you could improve on are: 

-1- Re-read and check your work - This is the most obvious, but I noticed some minor errors with a few missing commas and full stops. I didn't pick them out as examples because I'm not that picky. But it's best to keep checking and re-reading your work in intervals and at different times of the day. (You will be surprised at how much your eyes become accustomed to your writing). 

To answer your specific questions, it's hard to answer if the chapters I read are page-turners, as reviewing is subjective. Personally, I felt like the prologue hit a good standard. It was gripping and then the thrill went down during chapters one, two, three and four. The end of chapter five picked up things and I could tell things were getting exciting. 

I didn't really care so much about their relationship as to wonder why and how things led him to be behind bars. 

It's hard for me to point out the specific points on how to make the plot/ storyline better as I've only read nearly half of the book. But for me, I felt the thrill aspect was missing. At times, parts were sad but relatable. You did a good job of showing emotion and getting across what they were feeling. 

Please remember that this review is solely based on my opinion. If you so wish for the review to be removed in any shape or form, let me know. 

Please keep writing & I wish you all the best with your writing journey! 

Thank you for requesting the review & I hope it helps you in some way. Please check, "Sanity," if you have time. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

282K 8.1K 136
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."
85.8K 2.2K 32
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
40.3K 888 90
Continuation of Modesto story who happens to intercourse with friends,mature,classmates,strangers and even family...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...