Chloe's Book Reviews {CLOSED...

By ChloeLeia561

Hey beautiful writers, if you would like a free book review, make sure to fill out the form inside. I give c... More

Welcome/Forms
Waiting List
The Mafia's Revenge
Into The Forest
Reluctant Companions- Book 2 of the Misfits and Magic series
A Future Without Fear
SACRED THE ORIGINALS
Death in the Woods
Traveling Salesman: Astronomgonist
Mellifluous
Beneath the Pink Iron Veil
LOVE STAINS
A.P.D (Animal Police Department) Druglords, Murderers, Donuts
The Chosen
Warriors stars of Blood
Mute Angel from Heaven
The Legend Of Hades (Book One)
Haunted Kiss
Defying Alpha
Sakura Eyes
Outside the Box
Inside the Jar
14 Days
Hey, Death
Gentlemen Only
The Voyage at Heart
A Thousand Details
Ten Confessions of a Serial Killer
Dying for Time
How It All Goes
She Was Planned But He Was A Surprise
The Perks Of Being A Human
Bittersweet Ending
Leonardo
Just Stay For Me
The untold story of the pack
Falling for Mr. Right
Sixteen
The Mobstar (Mafia Rom-Com)
Rules and Roses
Maryn
THE WRONG GIRL (Blossom High School Series)
Philophobe
UnRuly
My little El
Unorthodox (BOOK 1)
Rain of Winter
The Beard
Bromeliad's Sting
The Dark Knight's Angel
Always yours
Slay All Snakes
Calytrix's Journey
Into The Glades
After Friday Night
That Pivotal Moment
The S Girl
After I Fall
A Sacrifice to Remember
The Mark of a Mate
Walking the Gallows
The Progress
Just Dreaming
Wish You Were Gay
The Wings of Storm
Renegade
The Fall of Mangiatorvi
The Last Philosopher
She Falls to the Sky
Alacrimia
Ocean Blue Eyes
Hamilton High Blood
The Missing Gem
A Kiss for Maya
When the good boy meets the whore
Matt Miracle
A Storm on the Mountain
Make A Wish
Paralyzed Love
No One Knows You Like I Do (Dawko x 8-Bitryan)
The Feeling Underneath
His Aries Side
Bonds And Bones
Friendships And Other Disasters
Falling For Royalty
The Baltic Sanction Lex Jackson: Book One
The Perfect Harmony
My England
End of the Tunnel
Moonlight Kingdom
Touch: Saving Ai
Tale of a fading reflection
Ugly Bones
Sanity
DESTINED QUEEN
Nightcrawler |Yoonmin|
Undercover Babe
We Were Liars
Vacation with the player
A Song for Dawn
Saving Emily
Battle of Retention
The Reunion: Decagrace
Blooming Flower
All I ever wanted was you {Book One}
I still want you {Book Two}
Shy Walking Shadows {Book One}
Aronville
The Catfish
His lucky charm
TAINTED LOVE (Racer x CEO)
Death's Embrace
DOWNWORLD BOND - SIMON LEWIS
His Life Changer
Tales from a Jaded writer
The Murder In The Temple
Please read
Feedback
Currently Closed

Unstoppable

17 3 1
By ChloeLeia561

Username: ridhikamini

Genre: Action, Fiction 

Chapters: 5 chapters (including Prologue)

Specific:  N/A 

Book 

Cover - 

The cover isn't bad. It relates to the genre and to the chapters I've read so far.

Blurb - 

The blurb is okay. However, I do think it could be improved. A suggestion would be to add the protagonist's name so the reader has some information about the main character of the story they're about to read. All they know is that she is a RAW agent. 

I would also introduce key aspects to make the blurb more interesting and to hook the reader. For example, you can add that her husband recently died in an attack or that she is family-orientated as she seems to put her family first. Then this line will make sense and add more to her character as we know she will do anything to save her daughter, "Will she be able to save her family? Or sacrifice her life for it?

Grammar - 

(Chapter Three) 

* I left inline comments about the switching tenses. 

Punctuation - 

(Chapter One) 

The commas need to be inside the quotation marks and some need to be removed.

Your examples...

"Do we know who they were?", asked Sun." 

"...they were sent by the Indian government", answered Jupiter."

"Anything at all??!!", screamed Mars angrily." 

Suggestions may be...

"Do we know who they were?" asked Sun."

"...they were sent by the Indian government," answered Jupiter." 

"Anything at all?!" screamed Mars angrily." (you don't need a comma after the ?! and you don't need so many question marks/exclamation marks. One is enough)

Note - Remember that full stops and commas go within the speech marks and not after. 

Character development/ plot - 

(Prologue) 

The only major thing I can critique is you mostly tell rather than show. A prologue is vital because it's the backbone of how your story will proceed. For example, it sets the genre, the pace, the tone and the premise of the story. Because this is thriller/ action, you would assume there would be fighting, action, some drama, but there wasn't anything. 

The main character, Ria, narrates the story of how she lost her husband in battle from fighting terrorists. This would be okay if all the information wasn't telling and in the prologue, but you miss opportunities to make this more exciting. For example, her husband died five months ago, so the prologue is re-telling what happened. Perhaps you can start the prologue by actually having the day he died or putting Ria into the action. Put the main characters and us, the readers, into the action and watch everything unfold in real time. Depending on your style and maturity rating, you could make it gory and describe the action, since it's action themed and ISIS related. (Totally off-topic, but it's like having a vampire book without blood if you get my drift). 

Here is an example where you tell the reader, but you could expand with 'showing.' 

"I took four men down who were guarding the room..." 

How did she take them down? She's a soldier, so did she use karate moves, walk up to them and talk to them? There are no details or descriptions about if she is armed. Are they armed? 

Another example...

"I was almost near them when suddenly an explosion was heard through my earpiece." 

Again, here you could 'show' her feelings. What is she feeling at this moment? That's why I said the prologue would benefit from having it unfold in real time and not a story being narrated five months later. As a reader, I feel nothing towards the protagonist or her husband. 

If that was my husband, and I didn't know where he was and there was an explosion, I wouldn't be as calm as she was. 

If the explosion is near, she would feel something. The floor would shake, the ceiling might collapse or the objects will move and the noise of the explosion would be so loud she might throw away the earpiece. The sound could also damage her eardrum. 

Having said all that, I liked the idea behind the prologue, the premise of revenge and the brief plot I read from the blurb. 

(Chapter One) 

I love the use of code names. It did take me a hot minute to realise they were code names as it got confusing. A suggestion could be to write next to the code name, the actual person who is speaking so the reader can follow along. I have no idea who Sun, Mars and Jupiter are. 

One thing that is lacking in this chapter is the description of the scenery and the appearance of the characters. Where are they? (I don't mean just location, but are they in a building, office, barn etc). What do they look like? 

(Chapter Two)

I would advise you to flesh out your scenes by adding more descriptions. For example, when her daughter has a low-grade fever, I would add more descriptions to set the scene. What are her feelings? Is her daughter getting medical treatment to cure the infection? Take time to describe everything because this can really help your readers connect with each character. 

It's nice to see Raj and Ria talking about what happened that night her husband died and sharing how they were feeling. They share the same guilt and anger and that's understandable.

(Chapter Three)

I like that you added some basic description about the guy and I also quite liked the information about the man that they are trying to hunt down. My previous comments apply, but I can see where the next chapter might lead us. I'm hoping there will be some incoming action while they try to chase down this gangster. 

(Chapter Four)

This has to be the best chapter so far. Some of the dialogue made me laugh and really sets apart some of the characters. Ria doesn't have any flaws until now. She's one of the best RAW agents, is great with planning and I'm guessing she is beautiful, intelligent and witty. I feel like there needs to be a flaw to make her more relatable. 

Overall Enjoyment - 

I've read this story before because I see my old comments, but I haven't completed it. I liked the chapters I've read so far, but I felt like the chapters lacked conflict and action. Perhaps this will come later on, but there needs to be a hook.

Things you could improve on are: 

1- Pacing - Because you don't describe your character's personality, appearance or scenery, many scenes are fast and quick, which makes the past a little fast. In one of the chapters, the flashback was only a paragraph long, which wasn't necessarily needed. You could make the flashback longer, or remove it entirely and show through dialogue that Ria knew about the code name and knew what to reply to. 

2 - Descriptions - This leads on from the point above, but many scenes need fleshing out by adding descriptions about what the characters look like. What are their likes/dislikes and features? Where do they live? What is important to them? What are their fears? What does her room look like? What clothes does she wear? What car does she drive? 

Some of these points may seem pointless, but knowing every little detail about your character will help you make them three dimensional. I suggest keeping a notebook where you write down everything about each character. This will help slow down the pace. 

Keep writing & I wish you all the best with your writing journey! 

Thank you for requesting the review & I hope it helps you in some way. Please check out, "Unstoppable" if you have time. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
90.3M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
282K 8.1K 136
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."