Bradley's Birthday PT 2

Jasmine was outside the men's dorm, afraid to knock. She could hear them on the other side.

She had told the girls that she didn't want to be with anyone today. Not after what she saw. She didn't need anyone's pity. She didn't need them to know how much it was hurting her.

But she needed him.

He was the first one she thought to run to.

She took a deep breath and knocked.

She heard rustling and then he was at the door, clearly surprised to see her.

"Jasmine, is everything okay?" he asked her. She shook her head. She knew he could read her like a book. She grabbed his hand and led him away from his room.

"Woah, where are we going?" he asked her, but she didn't want anyone to hear them.

"Max, yo, bro!" she heard Bobby call from the door. She continued to lead Max away.

She stopped when they were in the common room and turned to look at him.

"I lost him," she whispered. "He- he made his choice."

Max looked down at her, finally realizing what she was saying. He motioned her to sit down. She couldn't. She didn't want to.

"Jaz, I'm sorry." Max replied. He went in to comfort her, but she pulled away.

"What's wrong with me?" she asked him, feeling faint. Her mind had been running in circles all morning trying to figure it out.

"There's nothing wrong with you," she heard Max say.

"There is! You didn't want me. Brad didn't want me. Why Max?" she asked, fighting back the tears. She rubbed her eyes, taking in deep breaths. "I know I'm not respected at all, and I don't care what others think, but why? Max please tell me why!"

"Jasmine, you have to calm down, before you get a panic attack." Max told her, putting his hands on her shoulders. "Look at me."

She didn't. She came here for answers. Right?

What did she want from Max?

"What is wrong with me?" she asked him again.

Max grabbed her and pushed her towards him. She felt his arms embrace her tight, his scent so familiar. She could hear the raging thoughts in her head.

"Breathe for me," he said slowly, softly. "Breathe, and just focus on me."

She was finding it hard to find her breath. She was starting to shake. "I can't!" she yelled. She tried to fight him off, but tighter he held.

"Jasmine!"

She felt her knees give out, and the tears fell. She grabbed fistfuls of his shirt wanting to release her pain. This was so familiar.

"I didn't know who to turn to," she admitted. "Max, I feel like I'm going to collapse."

"It's okay," he said, picking her up. She wrapped her arms around him and felt him place her on the nearby sofa. He took a seat next to her, his body close to her.

"There's nothing wrong with you," Max said seriously. "I was just in love with someone else for a long time. I loved you too Jasmine, I still do. But it was never the same love I had for Ro- for that other person.

And you weren't in love with me like you thought either, right?"

Jasmine wiped her face with her shirt. She saw Max turn his face away, red.