Practice

Max watched as Bobby slid down the ramp, PJ at his heels. They were practicing improving air on their skateboards since Max was out for the first round. Bobby tried to balance himself as Max does with one hand on his board, but failed and rolled down the ramp, the board landing on his head.

"OW!" he yelled, grabbing the sides of his head. "I don't know how you do it, Max."

"Do it again, and try to focus all your weight on one spot on the board." Max replied, tapping his fingers against the edge of his damn wheelchair. He hated that he couldn't practice with them. He looked down at his hand, a blue cast keeping him from doing anything. Another two weeks and that cast would be off. As for his leg, he had a while to go before the doctors gave him the "Okay".

"Dude, we have been at this for hours now! I'm tired." PJ remarked, sweat rolling down his massive cheeks. He unbuckled his helmet, throwing it on the ground.

"I'm with him on this one." Bobby said, throwing himself flat against the ramp.

"Guys, the first round is in a few days! Did you see whose competing with us? Megalos, that's who. With me out of the game we are at a heavy disadvantage." Max said, frustrated.

"Bro, that's not the only problem we have. There are only two of us. We need three people to compete." PJ said. Max groaned. How could he have forgotten that little detail?

"Dammit! Who can we find on such short notice?" Max asked, shaking his head.

"We could always hold try-outs early." Bobby stated, sitting up. "We need more people in the frat anyways."

"But we weren't going to do that until the end of the year. We don't have permission yet." PJ corrected.

"We can hold try-outs, but just for the team. They can't live in the house. Obviously, next year they'll be accepted into Theta Chi if they want it." Max said. The guys nodded.

"Can we stop practicing now? I'm getting sunburned." Said Bobby, exposing his red shoulder. "See?"

PJ and Bobby both looked at him, waiting for his response. He hesitated, they really needed to practice, but he nodded. They both gave sighs of relief.

"Thank you, Billy." Bobby said, picking up his things.

"When we get back to the house, we are going to work on making fliers. We need to find the next person ASAP." Max said, a little annoyed that they were giving up so easily.

"You have been killing these guys." Mocha walked over, holding a bucket of Power Drinks. She took one, handed it to Max, and then went over to give one to her boyfriend and Bobby.

"Thanks, Babe." PJ said, opening his drink. "I would kiss you but I'm sweaty."

Mocha waved her hand. "I understand."

"I love you." Bobby replied, chugging his drink. PJ gave him a look. Max couldn't help but smile.

"So what's this about try-outs? Are you really getting someone else on the team?" Mocha asked.

"I have to, Mocha. We can't compete with two people." Max said, taking a sip of his drink. He didn't know how thirsty he was until the blueberry-flavored water hit his tongue. He tried not to force it down at once, because if he was this thirsty by just sitting in the wheelchair, the guys must have been dehydrated. Maybe he had worked them a little too hard...

"That's going to be time consuming, isn't it?" she asked, one hand on her hip. "Do you have time for that?"

"Unless you have a better idea, girl?" Max asked. Mocha closed her eyes, thinking. She opened her brown eyes, which were glittering with an idea.

"Oh, Oh." PJ said, stepping away from her. "I know that look."

"I have a coworker at the Bean Scene who'd be happy to help you guys out. He's a Junior, but he rides for a living." She said, walking up to Max. She placed both arms on the side of his wheelchair, her nose touching his. She had a determined look on her face, which made Max cringe. "He trains other kids at a camp on the weekends. What do you say?"

Max rolled his eyes over to PJ who was nodding his head frantically, meaning that Max didn't have a choice on this one. His eyes made it back to Mocha who was still staring at him, without blinking. He gulped.

"Okay." He said. She smiled and jumped back. "Great! I'll let him know; now if you don't mind, I'll be stealing PJ for a while. I need help remodeling my living room. I got some great artwork to hang on my wall. I'd like for you guys to come over and see it when it's done."

PJ groaned and Mocha looked over at him, an eyebrow raised. He quickly straightened up, a weak smile on his face. Bobby pointed at him, laughing.

"What? You can come help me too." Mocha said, making Bobby stop, shaking his head.

"Sorry, lady. But I have a date with my little sunflower." He said, and everyone turned to look at him.

"A date?" Max asked, surprised.

"You?" PJ stated, eyes wide.

"Whose the dude?" Mocha asked and the guys all let out a bark like laughter, making Bobby's ears turn red.

"It's NOT a dude. It's Stacey." He said, crossing his arms.

"Woahhhhh, for real?" PJ asked. Bobby nodded.

"So, Roxanne's going to be home alone?" Max asked, curious. All eyes turned on him now, and he knew he had made a mistake.

"Why do you care?" Mocha asked, smirking. Max didn't even know why he cared either.

"Forget it-" he started.

"Do you like Roxanne?" PJ asked, keeping his tone down. Max looked up at him and felt his face turn red.

"No! No! I don't! I was just curious. Seeing how she lives in front of us and all." He said, feeling his heart beat faster. It was true, he didn't know if he liked Roxanne in the first place. They were different people now, she wasn't the same teenager he had fallen in love with in high school. And he definitely wasn't the same guy either.

PJ and Bobby exchanged a look.

"You can come over with me, we're having dinner at their house." Bobby said.

"Nah, I'd love to, but I really need to fix things with Jasmine. We left on a wrong note." He said, hating his answer. He wanted to go with him, but he knew he had to mend things with her first. Bobby shrugged.

"All right, invitation still open until 8pm tonight."