Sylvia's on the Case

“We can’t trace who rented out the car, Mrs. Goof.” The police officer said, tapping his pen against his mug. She scrunched up her face in annoyance, and felt Goofy’s hand gently rub her back.

            “Honey, he did everything he could do.” Goofy said softly, knowing all too well she wasn’t in the best mood.

            She sighed, trying her best to control her emotions. It had been almost three weeks and they still had no lead besides the fact that the car that had hit Max had been rented under a false name.

            “Don’t you think it’s a little strange that this,” she picked up the paper in front of her. “Car dealer allowed someone to rent a car without identification?”

            The police officer, whose name was Tim, sat back on his seat, his belly hitting the edge of the desk, making some of the coffee spill out of his mug. He scratched behind his long black ears and shrugged.

            “You are useless!” she had lost it. She found herself standing over him, both her palms hitting the desk hard. Goofy fell back against his chair, surprised.

            “Listen here, Tim, I don’t care what you do, but you better have something else for me when I come back.” She grabbed her purse and walked out of the small hot office, her heels alerting everyone at the station of her presence.

            She was so angry. She knew cases like these were hard and required work, but these guys here weren’t doing anything. She heard Goofy running after her, constantly apologizing for bumping into people.

            “Sylvia!”

            She stopped walking when she was safely outside the station. She turned to look at Goofy, trying to relax her face.

            “That was a waste of my time.” She said, rubbing her temples. She felt a sudden pulse behind her eye, indicating the start of headache. “Did you see how he looked at us? As if it didn’t matter that he had nothing new to tell us about the case.”

            Goofy took her hand and kissed it, his large eyes looking up at her. She felt her shoulders become less tense and she smiled, the anger inside slightly lifting.

            “I’m happy you really care about this,” Goofy said “But maybe it’s best we don’t kill ourselves over this. There are lots of hit-and-run cases, and not everyone gets caught.”

            She looked at him, understanding what he was saying. She wanted to tell him that he was right, that maybe she should give this up, but she knew she couldn’t. This was a college campus. Someone within the college must have been the one to hit Max. She was sure of it. She knew this campus as well as  she knew the back of her hand.

            “What do you say we grab some dinner? My treat?” Goofy asked, leading her down the stairs.

            “Don’t you always?” she teased, looking over at the small corner store. She noticed it had a camera on the outside of its’ window.