The Truth is Out

What was she going to do?

"We've been through this," Max said as they stood in Brad's living room. "The cops aren't listening and we can't hold on any longer. They won't stop."

"And what do you plan on doing when you do reach them? Arrest them yourselves?" Roxanne argued.

"She's right. They arrested a bunch last time. Whose to say they haven't recruited more?" Stacey asked.

Jasmine sat silently, pondering her options. She couldn't stop them, that's for sure. She needed to think of something. If she went to the police now would they stop them from going? Could they physically do that?

"This is absurd," she finally said, getting up. "I'm leaving. You can do whatever you want."

The room got silent as she grabbed her coat and made her way outside. She didn't want to be there anymore. They couldn't stop her if she decided to go on her own. But she would tell Goofy and Sylvia. They would be able to stop Max, right?

The air was chilly as she stepped off the property. It was eerily quiet on the street, with almost everyone retreating from the campus. She pulled her coat tight around her, breathing in the cold winter air. So much had changed...

And yet...

She turned to hear footsteps crunching the snow behind her. Bradley was zipping up his leather coat, eyes locked on her.

"I'm not letting you walk alone." He said as he caught up to her.

"Suit yourself," she responded, suddenly feeling warm. "This is all too much, even for me."

Bradley remained silent, his hands in his pocket. She didn't want to turn to look at him. What else was she supposed to say? They both had made their choices. She knew how he felt about her. But she had been hurt too many times by him. She understood her part though. She wasn't innocent in this either. She had hurt him just as much.

"About what I said earlier..." he started, looking straight ahead. 

"It's no big deal, I get it." She said, not wanting to talk about it. "Please, I don't want to make things awkward."

She heard him sigh. 

"I still love you, I wasn't lying about that. It's why I can't let you go with us. Last time was hard for me, I can't go through that again."

She had reached her car. She took out her keys and unlocked it. "Thanks for walking me,"

Bradley's face fell, but he nodded, holding the door open for her. She wanted to tell him she loved him too, but she couldn't. She was afraid of going down that path again. He was with Cora. He hadn't broken up with her and that said enough. She wasn't going to make decisions for him.
She got into the car, took a deep breath and smiled up at him. She couldn't let him see how much this hurt her. If she pretended it didn't hurt, eventually it wouldn't. That's how it's always been.

The chilly air burned his nose as he walked towards the pay phone. He knew he would have to tell his parents something. They must have already heard the news about the campus closing. He didn't want to talk with everyone around. He couldn't risk them finding out what he was up to. 

"Maxie!" Goofy exclaimed through the phone. "We were just talking about going down there to pick you up"

"About that dad," he said "I don't want to go back. Not yet."