Let's Be Honest

Max was annoyed sitting with her. She was talking, but he had no recollection of what.

Roxanne and Jasmine had walked by him, two important women in his life, but one above the other. Always that one.

He was a jerk and he knew it.

He remembered seeing Jasmine back his freshman year, at the end of the year party. It had been outside, by the edge of Lake Blue. Everyone was continuously congratulating him over his victory at the X-Games. He had been so sore from all that pats in the back, and all the hive fives he had to give out. Some people even gave him gifts, which he found a bit strange to be honest.

"Isn't this great?" Bobby exclaimed. "I've never seen so many girls around me at once."

PJ shrugged. "I guess its okay,"

"What do you mean? What's eating you?" Max joked, nudging him. "You can have your pick by the looks of it. See over there? Those girls are eyeing you man,"

"I don't want any of them, I want Mocha." PJ confessed.

Max and Bobby exchanged looks. "Dude, if she's not into you-" he began

"But she is, I think." PJ said, his cheeks turning pink. "We went out on a date."

"WHAT?!" both guys yelled at once.

"You went out and didn't tell me? I'm hurt bro, hurt." Bobby said, pointing at him. "Not cool."

"Yeah, Peej, what's the deal? Why the secrecy?" Max asked, surprised.

"I dunno, I wanted this to be special. And it was." PJ said. He took a sip of his soda. "I was scared if I told anyone it would jinx it somehow."

"C'mon, PJ, brother. How would that even be possible?" Bobby said, putting his arm around him. "I could have given you tips, a 101 on females."

"That's exactly why I didn't say anything." PJ said. Max shook his head, smiling. Of course. PJ had never gone on a date once. He had never shown any interest until this year. It was understandable that he was acting this way.

"So, how'd it go?" Max asked, hoping it had gone well.

"It was great actually," PJ grinned. "We had dinner and watched a movie. I haven't felt this alive, Max."

Max smiled. He understood completely.

"And I asked her to come, but she said it wasn't her scene. I don't know if it's because she didn't enjoy our date, or doesn't want to see me." PJ confessed.

"No, way." Max said quickly. "She was probably being honest."

"Nonsense," Bobby said, his glasses sliding off his nose. "Who can resist you, I mean look at you!"

PJ laughed. "I guess you're right. We'll see."

Max looked down at his drink. It had been exactly one year since he last saw Roxanne. His biggest regret was not chasing her after prom. He could have made things right. He sighed. That was the past. He had to move on. He had to.

"Woah, dude, whose that?" he heard Bobby say. Max looked up.

His heart began to race so fast he thought he was going to throw up. It wasn't her, it couldn't be. But damn she looked like her.

Sitting across the large grassy area was a red-head, her hair short and parted to the side. She was wearing a short green top and jean shorts. She was smoking, talking to some girls around her.