Nightmare

Bradley struggled to stay awake in class the next day. He had stayed up late with her, ditching the party to go skate at the ramps. She was a pro, it was obvious, and weirdly enough, he didn’t feel intimidated.

            “Bradley,” he felt his arm being poked and he opened his eyes, her red hair coming into focus.

            “Class is over,” Roxanne said, putting her stuff away. “Why are you so tired?”

            “Kmenfp…” he shook his head, trying to wake up.

            “You’re silly, come on, let’s grab some coffee. That’ll wake you up.” Roxanne said, picking him up by his elbow. He yawned, but obeyed.

            He didn’t remember walking over to the café, but there he was, sitting down and sipping a cup of black coffee. He felt himself come together, slowly waking up.

            “What were you doing up? Not studying?” she said, biting into her sandwich.

            “No. I was at a party- speaking of which…”he took another sip. He felt better now. “When are we going to throw that party we planned earlier in the year?”

            He saw Roxanne smile, and she waved her hair away from her eyes. “I’m glad you brought that up. I’d like to do it after your X-Games Try-Outs.  I think it’d be more of a celebration than anything.”

            “Are you implying that you have faith in the Gammas? With out record of… um… bad luck?” he asked, surprised.

            She beamed. “Yes! That is exactly what I’m saying. It will be for you. For the Gammas.”

            His eyebrows shot up, taken back. He hadn’t had this much support, well, since Max arrived at school. He grabbed Roxanne’s hand and he watched her turn red. “You have no idea how much this means to me!”

            “Haha, Bradley, people are watching.” Roxanne said shyly, looking around. He quickly let go, controlling his excitement.

            “I apologize, Roxanne. It’s just that no one likes us anymore at this campus. Since Team 99 came and took over, I’ve been a laughing stock. I think you know this already. You did watch the games over in France, did you not?” he asked, watching her as she shrugged.

            “The way I see it, this could be your year. Who knows? Who are we to put your team down so easily because of past events?” she said. “And plus, you were my first friend on campus. You were very nice to me, and I believe that good things will come your way. I believe in Karma.”

            Bradley shifted in his seat uncomfortable, suddenly wanting to leave. He felt embarrassed. This lovely girl was telling him that he was a nice guy. That she believed in Karma. If only she knew who he was. He had almost killed Max, not that that was his intention, but he had gone to a bad place that night.

            He closed his eyes, everything coming to him.

            He had been drinking.

            He found himself leaning over the tub, throwing up everywhere. He had just had his house egged by some stupid freshmen, and he had beat up one to a pulp when he caught him around the corner, laughing.

            “What am I doing with my life?” he yelled. He heard his teammates banging on the bathroom door, asking him if he was okay. He ignored them.

            He looked at his reflection, rugged, bloodshot. His lip was bruised from the hit he had taken to the jaw… his hair a mess. His brown eyes glared back at him with hatred… mocking him.

            “Who are you? What have you done to us?” the reflection asked him. Bradley kept his hands firmly on the sink, unafraid.

            “I didn’t do ANYTHING.” Bradley responded, watching as his reflection laughed back at him. “You know I tried everything in my power to get back on my feet- to get back the crown-”

            “Really? All I see is FAILURE, Bradley Uppercrust the Third. FAILURE. Look at yourself. You’re pathetic. You should just get rid of yourself. Do us that favor. Stop making us look bad.” His reflection said, showing off his pearly white teeth. His reflection wasn’t beat up at all, he was handsome, shaven and standing with a medal over his chest. He laughed, making Bradley cringe.

            “SHUT UP!” Bradley yelled, slamming his fist against the mirror, shattering it. He grabbed the half drank bottle of vodka and stormed out of the bathroom, despite the protests of his peers.

            He grabbed his car keys, and ran out the door before anyone could stop him. He had made up his mind…

            “You want a car?”

            “YES! Can’t you hear me? I’ll pay you upfront with cash. Just give me a damn car! I don’t care which one!” Bradley yelled at the payphone, taking another sip of his liquor. “I’LL PAY TRIPLE. Just don’t ask any questions.”

            He drove to the dealership, his vision blurry. He was walking on autopilot, hands in his pocket.

            “You the guy?” the man asked him. He couldn’t remember the man’s face.

            “Yeah. Give me my car.”

            “Ah, ah, money first.” He said, the smell of cigar in the air.

            “Right.” Bradley threw the money on the desk, landing with a heavy thump. “This should compensate everything.”

            “And you won’t want me to disclose who you are, right?” the man said to him.

            “That’s the deal.” Bradley responded.

            “Very well, Mr. Uppercrust. Here are your keys. Have a pleasant drive.” He took the keys from the man and walked out into the truck, the red truck with the high seats.

            It roared to life as he drove down the streets, tears in his eyes.

            I’m just holding on for tonight… he thought, taking out a cigarette from his pocket and lighting it.

            I’m going to live like tomorrow doesn’t exist...

            He felt his tears roll down faster, knowing very well that he didn’t plan to see the next morning. He kept on driving, passing red lights, not caring if he got stop or not.

            I need to go to the bridge…

            He had made a last turn around the back of the library, knowing that he had to get out of campus. He didn’t want to live like the laughing stock anymore. Enough was enough.

            Then he saw him.

            He was skating on his board, looking preoccupied.

            Max.

            “This is all his fault, Bradley… hit him! Hit him!” he saw his reflection again through the rear view mirror, urging him forward.

            “I can’t do that!” Bradley yelled back, but before he could hit the brake he hit Max, closing his eyes as the impact happened.

            He wanted to stop. He really did.

            But at that moment he didn’t care.

            He began to laugh.