AN OLD PROMISE

Max followed Bradley out into the rain again. They had waited until the girls had run off to continue on their part of the plan.

"You sure you can do this, Goof?" Bradley asked, looking down at his leg.

"I have to, you know I got no other choice." Max said, part of him dreading the sprint he would have to do in a few seconds. Bradley nodded.

"I'll keep running, incase you have to stop," Bradley said. "This is no time for games."

"I got it." Max said, irritated in his condition. He wasn't going to let it stop him.

"Ready?"

"Ready." he said.

Both guys went off running, the rain smacking hard on his skin. The ground was soft under him, which helped the pressure a bit. Bradley was in front of him, but Max was surprised at how fast he was, despite his injuries.

He couldn't look up, but he knew he had to keep going. Jasmine was in danger. He wouldn't be able to forgive himself if anything happened to her. Bradley must have felt the same. They had both loved her once.

The night sky broke into many lightning bolts, all flying in different directions. Max stopped, scared at where these bolts were landing. He saw Bradley stop as well, turning to look at him.

He began to run again, Bradley waiting for him. They were almost there, he could see Jasmine clearly now, with Tony and PJ right behind her. They were struggling to open a window near them.

Bradley reached out his hand, stopping Max from going any further. They sank behind a dumpster, looking up.

"Look, there," whispered Bradley. "A guy is coming out."

Max squinted, but saw that the man was holding a gun. He had a large brown cape on, his black boots stomping across the muddy ground.

They have to get inside, Max thought, scared. Please, hurry.

He saw the window open, Jasmine jumping in. He felt his heart lighten. The man was stomping, about to turn the corner. He would surely see them.

He heard a loud crash a few feet away from him. Both guys turned to look, briefly spotting Roxanne running into the nearby building. She had thrown a rock at the window, which had distracted the caped man.

"Fuck!" he heard himself mumble. What was she doing? He looked back up, seeing PJ make his way back inside. Roxanne had saved them. The caped man was now instead running towards the building Roxanne had just ran into.

"I have to go to her," Max said.

Bradley nodded, his face pale. "I'll go to Jasmine. Be safe Goof."

What was he supposed to do? He had no weapon, his body was hurt and he was just a stupid college kid, up against murderers.

He ran despite the burning pain in his leg. Roxanne what are you doing?

He made his way inside, the quietness around him engulfing him. There was a staircase right in front of him, one going up, and one going down. There was also a hallway to his left and right. She could have ran in any direction.

He saw an old lamp post sitting on top of a dirty broken table. It was better than nothing. He grabbed it, the dust getting all over his hand. He held his breath. The last thing he wanted to do was sneeze.

He stood there, trying to hear anything, footsteps, a door slam, anything to give him a clue. But everything was silent. For a man who was wearing such heavy boots he sure was light on his feet.