First Day of School

Roxanne giggled as Stacey paced around the living room, her hands on her hips.

"I can't believe he didn't recognize me!" Stacey said, alarmed. "Me?!"

"Maybe he was just, I don't know. Tired?" Roxanne said, trying to calm her down, but found it hard not to enjoy the situation.

"He was in my first class! He should know I'm here by now. I'm sure Max has already said something to him." Stacey said, throwing herself on the sofa. The large sun hat she was wearing fell to the floor beside her.

Roxanne sighed. It had been a whole week since she last saw Max. It was Monday, and she was to have to her first class in the afternoon. She had seen him pull up from the hospital a few days ago, sitting on a wheelchair and looking miserable. After that, she hadn't seen him at all. She felt bad for not going over to talk to him at least.

She didn't want to deal with Jasmine again. She had held her temper well during their first encounter, but she knew the second time wasn't going to go so smoothly.

"Bobby was never, bright." Said Roxanne, shrugging.

"Uh huh." Mumbled Stacey.

"Did you talk to him?"

Stacey sat up, shaking her head. "I freaked out."

Roxanne covered her mouth to keep herself from laughing.

"Ugh! That's it. I'm going to march on over there to the Theta Chi house and demand Robert to-"

"To what?" Roxanne asked, grinning. "Remember his first love?"

Stacey grabbed a pillow and threw it at her before breaking out into a fit. She began to laugh, and then slowly Roxanne noticed that tears were rolling down her cheeks.

"Stace- Stacey. Oh my gosh, are you okay?" Roxanne ran up to her friend, who had begun to cry into her hands. She placed her arms around her and patted her head. "Honey, what happened?"

Stacey didn't say anything but burst into tears. She shook her head and wiped her face with the sleeve of her arm. She looked at Roxanne, her mascara running.

"I know how you feel now. About Max I mean." Stacey said, hiccupping. "Ugh, I could have sworn I was over Robert."

Roxanne didn't know what to say. The whole time she had been worried about how she was going to make it in school with Max living so close to her when she had forgot that Stacey had left Bobby behind for her, too. Bobby was Stacey's first boyfriend, and when Roxanne left, Stacey followed, leaving Bobby behind.

"I'm sorry." She managed to say, hugging Stacey harder. "I should have realized."

Stacey smiled, her face swollen from the tears she had just dropped. She shook her head and took a deep breath.

"He was flirting with some other girl. That's why he didn't see me. I sat in the front of the class for a reason, but he sat in the back, with some blond girl." Stacey sniffled, and then her face got serious. She stood up, taking Roxanne by surprise. "If he thinks that I'm some crybaby, well. I don't want Robert."

Roxanne didn't know what to say. Stacey walked out of the living room and into the kitchen. She came out with a glass of water, which she chugged quickly before walking over to the window. "When's your first class?"

"This afternoon." Roxanne said, feeling awkward. Did Stacey not want to talk about it?

"Oh, look. Max is finally getting out of the house." Said Stacey, quickly. Roxanne gasped but then caught herself. "And he's with Jasmine."