Girl Encounter

Some people settle for the typical thing,

Livin’ all their lives waiting in the wings,

It ain’t a question of “if” just a matter of “time”

Before I move to the front of the line

            She sat next to her boom box, her knees up to her chest, Powerline’s song “Stand Out” playing on repeat. When she felt down, this song always cheered her up.

            This had been their song, and the image of him with his Powerline outfit always made her smile. He had looked so handsome, so confident. It was the first time it hit her that she really wanted to be with him.

            “We should have gone to the hospital.”

            She looked up and saw Stacey standing in her pajamas, her face tired.

            Roxanne clicked the song off, waiting for Stacey to say more.

            “I haven’t slept since.”

            “Sorry, Stace,” Roxanne said softly. It was true. Neither of them had slept.

            “How do you think he is?” Stacey asked, walking over and taking a seat next to her.

            Roxanne felt her tears build up and she tried blinking them away. How could she have just let them take him and not follow him to the hospital?

            “Don’t cry,” Stacey said, putting her arm around her. “We can call the hospital and ask.”

            “I’m so selfish.” Roxanne said, standing up.

            “Where are you going?” Stacey asked quickly. “Roxanne!”

            Roxanne placed her flats on and grabbed her bag from the floor and opened the door.

            “Roxanne!” Stacey yelled behind her.

            She didn’t care. She had to make sure he was all right. What if he wasn’t? What if he had-

            No, she thought, picking up the pace and jumping in the car. He has to be okay.

            Stacey banged on the window, and Roxanne unlocked the door.

            “What are you doing?”

            “Stacey, I have to go see him. Are you coming or not?” she said, already moving the car in reverse. Before Stacey had time to say anything, Roxanne grabbed her hand and shoved her in.

            “Oh, gosh, I hope you don’t regret this.” Stacey said as Roxanne drove off.

            “I regret a lot of things. I need to make sure he’s okay. Sitting around at home isn’t doing me or anyone any good.” Roxanne said, her eyes focused on the road. It was a bright sunny day, college students walking around and enjoying the weather.

            “I don’t even have shoes on.” Stacey said, buckling her seatbelt.

            “I have sandals in the back. “ Roxanne responded.

            “Roxanne, think about what you are doing. Are you sure you want to do this?”

            She didn’t say anything, but felt the tears building up again. Yeah, she wanted to do this. She wanted to see Max.