The X-Games: Try Outs

"Welcome Ladies and Gents to this Year's Special X-Games: International Edition. Welcoming to our humble arena are the Greek Gods of Europe MEGALOS."

Roxanne watched as the Megalos trio stepped up into the shiny black platform, their Purple and Black uniform making them stand out from the rest. Roxanne was eager to see Max's team come out, even though she knew he wouldn't be participating himself. It was a different feeling watching the games up close. In France she had to always stay up late into the night, secretly cheering Max on from her bedroom. Not anymore.

"Now, everyone knows who our King is..." The host was saying, his face bouncing off all flat screens available. The screen changed and Max was on, his uniform on and standing, the crutch under his arm.

"Hey Guys, Max here. Unfortunately, due to an accident I had earlier, I won't be participating in the X-Games Tryout this year. "

Groans and Boos from the audience began to rumble all around Roxanne. She looked over at Stacey who grabbed her hand and patted it gently.

"But not to fear. I trust in my team. And I won't be off for long. Your King will not disappoint, I promise! Enjoy and good luck to all the teams!"

The screens turned black and Roxanne looked around to see the people cheering, holding up Team 99's banner and logos. She had never seen so much support for one person. She was in awe the whole time until Bradley's team came up to the podium, all serious. The cheers stopped.

There were no Gamma banners, or Gamma supporters. No one cheered. No one said a word. Bradley didn't seem faded by it. She had never noticed this when she had watched the Games in Europe. But again she had been watching it through a TV.

Before she could completely think about what she was doing, she took Stacey's hand and together they stood up, eyes on them.

"GO GAMMAS GO! GO GAMMAS GO! GO GAMMAS GO GO GO!!" they sounded like cheerleaders but she didn't care. Bradely was her friend. She had told them she supported them and support she was.

The screens flicked on to them, her bright red hair reflecting on all the screens in the arena.

"What do we have here? A Gamma fan club? Guys this is going to be a great year for the Games. I feel it. Now let's get this started!!!!" The host snapped his fingers and the anthem started....

....................................................................

Bradley couldn't believe it. Someone was cheering for him. Someone was cheering for HIS team. He looked over at the screens and saw Roxanne and Stacey, yelling at the top of their lungs, an old Gamma Cheer he hadn't heard in five long years.

His spirits lifted and he felt like he wouldn't disappoint. If anything he wouldn't do this for his pride, but for them, his friends.

"Look Boss we have fans!" Don said waving at the girls. Bradley nodded.

The last task was the 5 mile cycle race. He had no problem passing eveyrone else, even Team 99, but the only one he couldn't catch was Mikolaj, who was racing at top speed, his bike looking almost as if it were gliding. Bradley pedaled as fast as he could but couldn't reach him.

The sweat burned his eyes, his vision becoming blurry. He was in second place, all without cheating. All without calculating some ridiculous plan. He looked over his shoulder and saw Bobby pedaling closely behind. He remembered Roxanne and Stacey's cheer. This was the last part of the Games. He had come in second in everything else besides the rock climb. Don had tripped and fell, automatically putting them in 5th place for that event.

Bradley swerved right, almost running into a pothole. He had to focus. They had never done this well before. He wanted to prove to her that he was somebody.

Prove to who?

His mind drifted to her freckled face and he smiled. Cora. He was thinking about Cora. He had to make things right with her. Friendships weren't based on lies now where they?

"Get OFF the road Brad" he heard Mikolaj's voice screaming at him. "THIS IS MY RACE."

Bradley hadn't noticed he had caught up to him, both men nearly neck and neck. He didn't want to lose now, so he went back to thinking about her, the way she ran with him the other night and he felt complete. How he had felt happiness with her the night of her birthday.

How it was her he had wanted to kiss.

He almost tripped as the rope hit his midsection, making him lose balance. He heard a whistle blow and he stood, dumbfounded as the crowd went crazy yelling his name.

"BRADLEY BRADLEY BRADLEY!!!"

.......................................................................

Max slammed his fist hard against his wheelchair, too tired to keep standing. He had been standing the whole time, watching the games unfold in front of him.

He watched as The Gammas excelled in almost everything, right behind Megalos. How? How could they have changed so much??

Team 99 had come in third to them. Megalos first, the Gammas second and Team 99 in third. They had barely placed.

"You guys did your best and I'm proud of you." Mocha said, entering their locker room.

"Thanks babe," PJ responded, taking off his helmet. "I don't know what got into the Gammas. They were something else."

"That was unacceptable. They must have been cheating- something must have been off-" Max started

"They did not cheat." Roxanne had walked into the door, Stacey right behind her.

"What are you doing here?" Max asked, his tone harsh. "You're not for team 99."

"So that means I can't come and congratulate you?" Roxanne snapped. The room was eerily quiet, everyone watching the pair.

"I saw what you did out there. You cheered on OUR competitors. The whole world saw you. If you're for them you're not for us." Max spat, hurt.

"Max-" Bobby started, placing a hand on his shoulders.

"No!" Max pushed him off, his face hot. " I don't know if you're here to spy on us. But you can't be friends with us and be friends with Bradley too."

Roxanne's mouth opened, surprised. She shook her head and walked out, leaving Stacey behind. Stacey stared down at Max, her eyes piercing.

"You are so wrong, Max Goof. We were never friends." She walked out, slamming the door behind her.

"STACEY!" Bobby ran after her, and Max sighed, feeling uneasy.