The Demon

Sylvia scratched out another name on her list with her large red pen. She had called every shop on the block, had waited patiently for their calls back, and yet she was not any closer to figuring out who had hit Max.

"Honey, just let it go." Goofy said, massaging her shoulders. "I'm happy our boy is okay, that's enough for me."

Sylvia sighed. It wasn't enough for her.

"You did all you could. We have no witnesses, no proof. We should just move on. I don't think Max would want us doing this either."

"Don't you want justice?" Sylvia asked, annoyed. "I love Max. But I'm not okay with someone getting away with what they did."

Goofy shook his head. "If it means stressing out, no I don't."

Sylvia stood up, not knowing what to do. She was at a dead end. She couldn't think of anything else, no other lead.

"I'm going to bed. I want to talk to Max later on this week. Maybe he knows something I don't." She said, walking away. Goofy was right. This had taken a toll on her, but she didn't want to give up. She had promised herself she would find out who had done this.

Roxanne woke up, her head pounding. The room was extra bright this morning, the curtains wide open, the cold chilly autumn air settling into her living room. She sat up, the pressure behind her eyes getting worse.

"I'm glad you're up."

She followed the voice, barely making out Stacey standing in the kitchen, her hands on her hips.

"Why am I in the living room?" She asked, not wanting to get up.

"Roxanne." Stacey said, taking a long pause. She was wearing her glasses, something Roxanne hadn't seen her do in a while. "What I really want to do is yell at the top of my lungs at you, but I'm not."

"I'm sorry Stacey, I'm not following." Roxanne said, feeling the urge to go back to sleep.

"I'm SICK of you coming home late. I'm SICK of you running off doing whatever it is you feel you need to do! Am I not your best friend? Why do you run off with JASMINE of all people? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?" Stacey asked loudly. Her face was turning red. "Do you know how worried I was last night? And you haven't been to class all week. Brad told me."

Roxanne couldn't believe the way Stacey was talking to her. She felt guilty. She was right. She bowed her head, lost for words.

"I'm sorry." Roxanne said softly.

She heard Stacey take a deep breath, not once, but three times. She knew she was trying to keep calm. She had every right to be mad.

"I can't help you if you won't let me in." Stacey said, taking a seat next to her. "I need to know what's going on."

"I don't know, Stacey. I don't want to blame anyone but myself. This isn't even Max's fault."

"Is this all about Max?" Stacey asked. "Did he do something?"

Roxanne shook her head. "No, but my stupid brain won't forget him. And my heart remembers the pain I was in before I left. Is it possible to still love someone after so long?"

Stacey squeezed her hand. "It is. I'm sorry to say. Just took at Bobby and I."

"What can I do?" Roxanne asked, feeling like a small child.

"You'll need to fall in love all over again, I'm afraid. With someone new."

Bradley couldn't concentrate during his class. He took random notes down, just to make it look like he was paying attention. He couldn't wait to go back to practice this afternoon, knowing that today was nothing but a cardio day, meaning he would be able to run around campus with Cora.

They have been having a nice last few days. He couldn't believe he felt so comfortable with her. He had never felt this connection with anyone else. He wanted to know everything about her, he wanted to talk with her about random things, and most important of all, he wanted to be around her.

PJ's girlfriend Mocha was in his class as well, and he noticed she kept turning around to look at him. He waved. She shook her head and turned back around. Strange, he thought.

"She's looking at me,"

He didn't want to turn around. He knew who that was.

"She's hot, isn't she? She must have some type of gift. Bradley turn around and look at me. I want to talk to you."

Bradley held on to his pencil tightly, feeling his jaw clench up. Mocha turned back around and looked at him, her face pale. She made a circle in the air with her pointer finger and turned back around.

"Are you going to tell Cora that you were hooking up with Jasmine? Bah, I know you won't. Dude, you need to use her to win the next X-Games. You can find out what they are planning. You do know they are planning something right?"

Bradley kept ignoring him, hoping that he would go away. Mocha turned back around and again traced a circle in the air. He had no idea what she wanted him to do. She lifted up her pencil, and this time, drew a circle on her paper. She raised it up over her shoulder, just enough for him to see it.

He took his own pencil and slowly drew a circle on his paper. He heard Evil Brad hiss and then he was gone. Bradley sighed in relief.

At the end of class he ran over to Mocha, who was packing away her things in her dark red bag.

"How did you know?" He asked her. "Could you really see him?"

Mocha nodded. "I can. But what does he look like to you?"

"What do you mean? He looks like me." Bradley said, afraid.

"This," she handed him a paper. "Is what he looks like to me."

Bradley took the paper from her, his hand shaking. He didn't know what he was expecting, but it wasn't what was on the page. Dark thin eyes were looking up at him, with a pointy chin and long fingers extending from his hand. He tried to keep his hands steady as he handed her the paper.

"What am I supposed to do?" He asked softly.