Hey Goof

Bradley knocked on the door, waiting for a response. He had his best shirt on, a plain white collard shirt, his black shorts and his overly priced running shoes. He had shaved, got his hair cut and managed to get a facial before deciding to visit his rival.

            “It’s open!”

            He took a deep breath and stepped into the room. He was surprised to find Max alone, a magazine in his hand. Max set it aside and glared at him as he slowly approached the hard wooden chair that lay near his bed.

            “What do you want?” Max asked, his tone firm. “I’m not in the mood to entertain you Gammas. I’ve had enough visitors for one day.”

            “I heard you started a Frat. What is it called? Theta Chi?” Bradley said, taking a seat. “Very clever.”

            “Yeah, what’s it to you?” Max responded.

            “Tisk Tisk, Goof. I didn’t come to attack you. I thought I’d pay you a visit and see how you’re doing. That’s all.” Bradley said quickly, his hands up. He loved it that he was getting under Max’s skin.

            I’ll show you, Goof. I’ll show you that I can be the man I once was, He thought.

            Max rolled his eyes and picked up his magazine again. “If that’s what you say you’re doing.”

            “Oh, but I am Goof. See, I was just sitting at the Gamma house, preparing for the qualifying rounds, when I heard that you had been in an accident.” Bradley pretended to cry. “I just died when I heard the news.”

            He noticed Max gaze up from the magazine, his face shocked. Bradley smiled.

            “You didn’t forget that the preliminary rounds are next week?” he asked, enjoying the look on Max’s face. “Oh, my. I think you did.”

            “This can’t be happening.” Max said, hiding his face behind his large hands. “No, no, no.”

            Bradley looked down at his watch. “I think I’ve been here long enough. I need to practice some more. I’m sorry you’re in this condition, Max. I really am.”

            Max was barely paying any attention to him.

            “I can’t miss the qualifying rounds. DAMN!” Max slammed his fists against the side of his bed.

            Bradley stood up, running his fingers through his newly trimmed hair. “If there’s anything you need, let me know. I do hope you get better.” He walked away, enjoying his moment. Once he was out of the room he smiled, and let out a deep breath. That had gone better than expected. It had been 3 years since he had made Max feel inferior.

            “I’m back, baby.” He said to himself as he walked down the hall.