Pull or Be Pulled

Max fumbled his way into the library, knowing all too well that he might not even study at all. He just needed to clear his head, and he needed to be away from everyone else. He had an Ancient Civilization exam coming up, and he was not prepared for it.
    The decorations around the library were distracting. Pumpkins, dark ribbons and bats hung over the wall and ceilings, making Max feel like he was in a haunted house and not at school. He threw his backpack on the desk, arranged his crutches and sat down, sighing.
    It had been a whole week since he last saw or spoke to Roxanne. He figured that she would have wanted some space from him, but not ignore him completely. He had gone to Stacey's house twice, without the guy's knowledge, and asked to see her. Stacey would always decline.
    Roxanne hadn't shown up to Cellular Biology either, the only other class he had her in and that worried him. Maybe Tony knew? He didn't want to talk to him either, but at this point, he didn't know what to do.
The corner he had picked was quiet and isolated, only a few bookshelves in front of him. He took out his heavy textbook and highlighter and began to read.
He felt like someone was watching him. He looked around, but didn't see anyone near him. He shook his head. He grabbed the highlighter a little tighter, and began to make random strokes on the page. His paranoia was getting worse, he could feel the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He looked up, his eyes scanning the bookshelf in front of him. He was sure there was someone there. He knew it.
"Hey! Whose out there? I know you're there!" Max said, trying to keep his voice firm. The Halloween decorations were not helping.
To his surprise, someone came out from the bookshelf behind him, not in front.
"I'm sorry, I didn't want to intrude," the short hair brunette said, looking sheepish.
"Oh, no, I'm sorry too. Why are you spying on me though? You freaked me out!" He said feeling his heart slow down. "As you can see, I'm crippled, so if anything were to come and get me I'd be done for."
She giggled, which made Max smile. She was cute.
"I'm Mona," she said, looking at him from under her lashes. He felt his stomach flip. What was going on?
"Max," he said, liking the way her cheeks were turning pink. "Why haven't I seen you around before?"
"I don't know. I'm always here," she pointed around her. "And I'm an art major. So that could be why."
Max held his gaze on her for a second until he snapped out of it. Why is she making him feel so weird?
"I was just noticing the book you were reading. I have the same class, not with you of course, but I already took the exam, if you want some help." She offered.
"If you don't mind." Max said, excited.

........................................................................................

"Woah," Jasmine said, walking up to her. "You smoke?"
Roxanne ignored her, her hands shaking. She was trying not to cry. She didn't cry anymore. Not for a guy at least.
"Hey, give me one if you have one to spare." Jasmine said, and to her surprise, Roxanne handed it to her.
They both stood there, behind the library, exhaling and inhaling together. Roxanne welcomed her company, even if she didn't like her. She had never been this close to her before, and now that she was, she saw why Max had liked her. She was gorgeous, with the exact shade of red hair.
"I had picked up the habit in France, long story. I gave it up. But here I am again." She said, not knowing why she was talking to her. She bit her lip. She had started right after her and Max had broken up. Now here she was again.
"Oh, okay." Jasmine replied, clearly not interested. "You shouldn't be hanging out here alone."
"I'm not. I was just taking a break." Roxanne said annoyed. 
"I'm getting a little party going tonight at my place. You're welcomed to join. Us girls have to stick together. I know Max did you wrong. He did me wrong too, but why should we suffer here while he gets all the fun? Am I right?" Jasmine said, reaching out and patting her cheek.
"How do you know?"
"I saw everything. You were hiding in the bookshelf in front of him. But that girl took it in her power to distract Max. It's so obvious she wants him." Jasmine said. "That's Max's problem. He can never focus his attention on one girl. Not entirely. It's like he's always looking for something and he can't find it."
Roxanne gasped. She had never taken Jasmine's feelings into consideration at all. She had always assumed Jasmine was just mean, selfish and self-centered. It had never occurred to her how Max might have treated her.
"To be honest, I had loved Max, once upon a time. Maybe I still do. I don't know. But he loved the attention he was getting from other women as well. Do you know I caught him making out with the cheerleaders the first year we were dating? He said it was a game. I didn't care. But I forgave him." Jasmine threw her cigarette on the ground. "It was never the same after that. I cheated on him too. It was this constant pull, you hurt me and I'll hurt you."
Roxanne didn't know what to say. She didn't know this Max. But heck, she didn't know Max at all anymore. She was the one who had decided to stay away from him. So why did it hurt so much?
"Why are you telling me this?" Roxanne asked, crossing her arms.
"Because I don't know what you and Max may have together, or had or whatever. But I'm tired of him always winning." Jasmine said softly. "I thought PJ, Mocha and Bobby were my friends. But they stopped talking to me all together because Max and I broke up. It's all been lies."
"I'll go." Roxanne said.