Stuck in the Middle

Roxanne was frustrated. Mona was being Mona, acting up and making things awkward. She was glad that she had asked Bobby and Stacey to go find help, just incase they couldn't find Mocha.

Why had she danced with Max? It had all felt so right, and yet she knew she shouldn't have.

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself,"

She turned around, expecting to see someone, but no one was around.

"Hello?" she asked, flashing her light in front of her. She leaned back against the wall, hoping she was just hearing things. "Max? Are you there?"

Silence.

She took a deep breath. She was alone in this random room, Max having gone after Mona.

"I'm over here,"

She covered her mouth to keep from screaming. Standing in front of her was her mother, wearing the green shirt that had been her favorite through high school.

Her mom was healthy, her cheeks naturally pink, her eyes wide and clear. Her red hair bounced behind her as she moved across the room, coming face to face with her.

"Look at what you've become. You're all cheekbones and cheap mascara." her mom said. "I never thought you would become this. What's wrong with you?"

"This must be a dream," Roxanne said, shaking her head. "I had too much to drink or something-"

"Please stop this. You're hurting us both."

Roxanne reached out to touch her, but she faded away, the colors swirling around her.

"I'm so exhausted," she said, falling down to her knees. She was trembling. Everything her mother had said was true. Who was she becoming?

Tears began to fall down her face. She didn't want to be this person anymore.

"Roxanne?"

Max's came in through the side door he had left through earlier. Mona was behind him, holding his hand. Roxanne looked up at him, quickly wiping her eyes. That image hurt, and she felt a strong jab right where her heart was. It took everything in her power not to reach out for chest.

"Hey, hey what's wrong? Are you hurt?" Max said, releasing Mona and coming to her side.

"Yes, I'm fine." Roxanne said, letting him help her up. Her skin electrified where it touched his. She was sure he felt it too.

"What happened?" Mona asked, annoyance layered in her tone.

"Nothing I'm just worried about Mocha," she said, which wasn't a lie. "Look, sorry if I disrespected you at the dance. It wasn't my intention. I will stay away okay, let's just not fight anymore and look for your friend."

Mona didn't say anything.

"Roxanne-" Max started but she cut him off.

"It's okay, Max, really." she said feeling a small weight lift from her shoulders. "C'mon, let's go into the next building. There's a small bridge that leads to it from the third floor. I saw it when we came in."

She saw something in Max's eyes, but she didn't have time to read it. The thunder roared loudly, scaring her. Mona quickly grabbed Max.

"It's raining outside. You want us to go out in that?" she asked.

"We have no choice." Max said. " She's right. We don't have much time."

They walked in silence up the long spiraling staircase. Each step was a risk, the wooden planks looking fragile and moldy. Some stairs were even missing a step, having to skip over them and praying it wouldn't give out from beneath them.