Prom Night

She made sure that he was watching her, knowing all too well that she needed to get on his good side. He had, after all, become the most popular guy on campus.

            She placed her bright red lips on the edge of the cup, taking her time to slowly sip the wine. She closed her eyes, wanting to taste it better, but also wanting to look attractive while doing so.

            “Seems like you enjoy our wine.” She heard him say, and that pleased her all the more.

            She kept the wine in her mouth, trying to savour it. She knew the etiquettes of drinking wine, and seeing as he was European, she wanted to impress him.

            “Why didn’t you bring Max Goof with you? He is your boyfriend right?”

            She almost choked on her wine.

            She felt it go down the wrong pipe, and she coughed, breaking the spell she had tried so hard to work on Mikolaj. Her eyes watered as she gasped for air, embarrassed at how she must have looked. Once she had controlled herself, she turned to face her ex-boyfriend.

            Bradley stood behind her, his dark beady eyes looking down at her. He was smiling, holding a drink in his hand. Behind him popped Cora, amused.

            “What are you doing here?” she glared, her fist clinching.

            “I invited him.” Cora responded, giving Bradley a nudge.

            “How… nice… of you.” She said forcefully, her eyebrows rising. Why did he have to be here?

            “I didn’t know you had a boyfriend.” Mikolaj said, leaning against the wall.

            “It’s complicated.” Was the only thing she could say. She wanted to get with Mikolaj, knowing how Max wasn’t going to be the X-Games king anymore. She saw how selfish her behavior was, but she didn’t care. She had always made sure that she was only with the best, and the best was what she was going to get. She wanted Mikolaj.

            “Really? How so?” She could tell Bradley was enjoying this. She had to play it safe, for her sake. Any wrong move could cause things to go wrong between her and Max, and she wasn’t just ready to let go of Max. Not yet.

            “It’s none of your concern, Bradley.” She said, turning her back to him. “Mikolaj, shall we go to the pool?”

            “Guess I’m going to have to ask him myself.” Bradley sang.

            “You will do no such thing, Brad.” She warned, quickly facing him. “He needs rest. Don’t you dare.”

            “If he needs rest then why are you here and not over there taking care of him?” Bradley accused. She felt her face turn red.

            “I was on my way there.” She lied, knowing she was playing with fire. “I wanted to stop by here first, knowing as how I was invited and all.” She took a deep breath; planning to kill Bradley the next time she got the chance. “Mikolaj, I’m sorry. But with the topic of Max on everyone’s tongue maybe it’s best if I head out now. Thanks for inviting me.”

            He nodded, surprising her by taking her in a tight hug and planting a kiss on her cheek.

            “It’s how we greet each other.” He whispered into her ear. She looked at him, determined to win him at all costs.