Past and Present

1999:

Bradley walked up the steps to her apartment, nervous. He knew what she was going to say to him, but he didn't want to believe. Not until he heard it for himself.

He had lost everyone, his friends, his team. He was the laughing stock on campus. She was all he had left. He remembers what she had said to him at the hospital, but he just couldn't believe it, didn't want to.

He tried to remain calm as he knocked on her door. He hoped she had changed her mind.

He was still wearing the hospital bracelet. He sighed.

She opened the door, wearing only a large t-shirt and shorts. She looked surprised to see him. She quickly pushed him and closed the door behind her.

"What are you doing here?" she whispered, angry.

"What do you mean? I'm your boyfriend, Jasmine," he said, his heart racing. This couldn't be happening.

"No you're not! You haven't been in a long time." she said, crossing her arms. "Max is inside and I don't want him to know you're here, so please, go."

"What? Why is he here? Jasmine, please" he begged

"What do you want from me, Brad? You ignored me ALL year! Not once did I see you. You were too busy with Max to pay me any attention! Remember that?" she spat. Her eyes were filling with tears.

"I'm sorry, Jasmine, please, give me time to explain," he begged her again, reaching for her hands. She pulled away.

"Just go, please, Brad." she said, wiping her eyes. "I'm with Max now, and he treats me well. He shows me off. He doesn't stick me in some corner."

Bradley didn't know what to say. He felt so defeated.

2002:

Bradley woke up, being able to open part of his eye again. The other one was still swollen.

He looked around. Jasmine was sitting in the chair by the window, reading. Besides her, there was no one else in the room.

He tried to sit up, but felt weak. How long had he been sleeping?

"Jasmine?"

She turned to look at him and placed her book down on the chair.

"You feeling okay?" she asked him. She went over and he noticed her pour him a cup of water. "Here, drink. You haven't had any fluids at all, besides that IV."

He drank, feeling so thirsty. Everything was a blur in his head. And that dream, it haunted him still. No not a dream, a memory.

"Thanks, where is everyone? Last thing I remember was hearing Max's dumb voice." he said, trying to sound like himself.

Jasmine giggled. "They left, you've been asleep for nine hours today."

"It literally felt like I took a five minute nap." he said. "Why are you here?"

He saw her look away.

"I wanted to be here for you. I know I wasn't the last time you were in the hospital." she said, taking another seat by the window. She looked up at him with her haunting green eyes.

"You okay?" he asked. He felt the tension that had built between them. This was all weird.

She nodded. "I found you, and well, you're better now and that's all that matters."

"I don't remember what happened." he confessed. "It's all mushed up."

"What do you remember?" she asked him.