Confused

Mona couldn't sleep. She knew what the ghouls were doing. Lake had said as much before he walked out of her dorm that night.
She was sitting on her bed, her lower abdomen cramping. The pain had been unbearable. She had taken some Tylenol to hopefully ease the pain, but nothing was working. She saw the blood staining her sheets around her.
She had lost the baby.
Everything was going wrong in her life. She shouldn't have gotten involved with Lake in the first place. He had shown her some attention and she had fallen into his trap. She should have tried harder to keep Max.
She felt the tears roll down her cheek. She had to think of something else. If he found out that she had lost this baby there wouldn't be any reason for him to stick around. She had to continue to play this game until she figured out her next move.

Max woke up to the smell of pancakes and bacon. He felt a little confused as he sat up and his head began to throb.
His parents had come to pick him up last night, and on the car ride home he had told them everything. Sylvia had begun to cry while Goofy just remained silent, his eyes focused on the road. He knew he had disappointed them, but as soon as they pulled up to the driveway, Goofy embraced him so tightly, easing up Max's stiff shoulders. Sylvia kissed him on both cheeks and told him that it would all be okay.
He didn't feel better but at least he felt reassured. He wouldn't be doing this alone. His parents were going to be by his side.
He yawned, still feeling sleepy. The clock read 10am. He had gone to bed only an hour ago.
"We need to talk to that girl's parents," he heard Sylvia say. He could smell the coffee she drank every morning without fail. "I wonder if they know already,"
"I was Maxie's age when I had him," Goofy said. "It was hard even for me,"
"Those were different times Goofy," Sylvia said. "You were married. You had a stable job. Max has none of these things,"
Max stood by the kitchen entrance, trying to hear what they were saying. He wanted their honest opinions. This might be the only way to get it.
"He said he didn't know if it was his," Goofy said. Max heard a clutter of dishes.
"Of course we have to take a paternity test," Sylvia said sternly. "If there is an ounce of doubt we have to do it."
"Don't you think that's mean?" Goofy said softly. "Wouldn't Mona get upset?"
"They're not together anymore, Goofy!" Sylvia said, trying to keep her voice down. Max sighed. He knew he couldn't hide anymore.
"I feel awful thinking that too," he admitted as he walked into the kitchen. He noticed the table was full of his breakfast favorites, none touched. Goofy was still cooking.
"Honey, you're awake," Sylvia said, setting her mug down. "Did we wake you?"
Max shook his head. "No, the food did," he said giving them a soft smile.
"I'm sorry if you heard some stuff you didn't want to hear," Sylvia said.
"No, no," Max said, shaking his head. "I need to hear it all. I don't know what to do, or who to really talk to."
He grabbed a plate and stacked some pancakes and eggs on it. Goofy turned around and dumped a large portion of bacon onto a bowl next to him.
"Want some coffee?"asked Sylvia. Max nodded.
"You guys don't have to do all this," he said, feeling guilty. They were treating him as if they felt sorry for him, which he understood. He hadn't expected all this.
"We want to," Goofy said, cutting up some strawberries.
"It's how we take out our stress," Sylvia said, taking a seat next to him. "We cook way too much for our own good."
Max chuckled. He knew this all too well.
"What do you want to do?" Goofy asked, now peeling some oranges.
"I obviously want to be there if it's my kid," Max said cutting his pancake in half. "But I don't want to hurt Roxanne,"
"It's a tough call," Sylvia said, taking a long sip of her coffee. She seemed lost in thought. Max took a bite of his breakfast and waited.
"You are going to have to accept that you can't have both. If Roxanne does not want to be involved with you or Mona, you can't hold it against her."
"Yeah, Maxie, and if it's your child, the child has to always come first. Roxanne's feelings won't matter." Goofy said sadly.
Max swallowed, feeling a knot in his chest. "Roxanne's feelings won't matter? This is what my conflict is all about! I don't want to hurt her anymore, dad. I don't want to lose her."
"Max, it's not fair to her if she stays by your side. She might come to resent you, and she's young. She can't want to be tied down to this kind of life." Sylvia said.
"She told me she would," Max said.
"Of course she did," Goofy said. "She loves you."
"But a baby changes everything. Like Goofy said, the baby must always come first. There will be days where you'll have to be with them all day, days where Mona will need you. Will Roxanne be okay with this? We are just trying to get you to really think about this matter. How sure are you about this baby?"
"What do you mean?" Max asked, losing his appetite.
"How sure are you that it's not yours?" Sylvia asked.
"I'm not really sure. Roxanne asked me the same thing, but I can't think of Mona cheating on me, or being with someone else."
He heard Sylvia sigh.
"Then even more reason to be honest with Roxanne. She might not like what she hears, but she doesn't deserve to be thrown into this. She has a whole life to live. She needs to know what she's signing up for." Sylvia said. "Trust me, I want Roxanne in your life, but we can't ask her to accept without knowing everything."
"We will be with you with whatever you choose, Maxie," Goofy said, placing the bowl of fruit on the small space available on the table. "I wish we could be more helpful."
"You guys are doing enough," Max said softly. "I need to hear all sides. Of course I want to make things work with Roxanne, and I can't ask her to make this decision without seeing everything."
"You'll figure this out. But you do need to take a paternity test to clear all doubts. In the meantime, be there for Mona. I can't imagine she's having a much easier time with this either." Sylvia said.