Love and Friendship

Bradley watched as Roxanne walked up to her seat, serious. Her bangs were covering her eyes, so it was hard for him to read her expression. Had something happened?

He turned his attention toward the door, watching as Max came in, looking utterly defeated. Had they gotten into some sort of fight?

Roxanne slumped a seat away from him, not bothering to say hi to him. This wasn't like her.

"Roxy?" he whispered as Professor Kreutzer walked into the classroom.

She turned to look at him startled.

"Oh, Bradley, hello," she said, forcing a smile. "How are you?"

"I'm sorry but I believe the better question is how are you doing?" he said, scooting over to the seat right next to her.

"I- I just have a lot going on, and a lot to think about," she said, still smiling. He could see that her eyes were beginning to water.

"Fair enough," he responded, not wanting to make her cry during class. This was not over though.

He turned to look at Max who had his head down on the table. He hadn't bothered to take out his books. Yeah, this had something to do with them both.

He tried to pay attention in class, but it was so hard. He couldn't help but worry about Roxanne, and he tried so hard to not look at the clock.

Roxanne didn't know how to feel. She wished that this was all a dream. Could Mona be lying? She wouldn't put it past her if she was being honest.

But was she being fair? This was before her and Max, and Max was right, she couldn't hold him at fault with this. It's not like he had cheated on her or anything.

She took a deep breath, wanting to stabilize her nerves. She knew Bradley was watching her. That much was evident.

She had her journal out, and instead of taking notes, she decided to doodle across the page. A tree here, a bird there. It was helping her.

Max hadn't wanted to come to class, but his feet made him follow Roxanne. He was glad at least that she hadn't decided to skip class. He didn't want her to slip because of him and his stupid mistakes.

What was he going to do?

He had seen the test results. They weren't fake.

It just didn't make sense. He had always been very careful- and it wasn't like they had been intimate in the last month. Had she been with someone else?

He shook his head. He couldn't think bad about her. He knew he needed to have a serious conversation with Mona. All he felt like doing was throwing up. Things had been looking up for him, and now this? What the hell?

He was shaken up when everyone around him began to shift in their seats. Class was over. He quickly grabbed his bookbag, not having bothered to take anything out.

He waited for Roxanne to walk down toward the door, but she walked right past him, with Bradley on her heels. He couldn't let her walk away.

He ran after her, grabbing her hand in his. She turned to look at him, frowning.

"Roxanne, please, let's go talk." he begged, hating that Bradley was standing so close to her.

"About what?" Roxanne asked, playing dumb.