The New Member

“Excuse me Roxanne, but I have to dismiss myself for the day.” Bradley stood up, his face grim.

            “Is everything okay?” Roxanne asked, standing up as well. He shook his head and she said no more, not understanding why he had acted the way he did.

            “Thank you for the coffee. And, um, that sounds like a great idea for the party. Can I call you back tonight?” he asked, running his hand through his hair.

            “Sure, Bradley. No problem.” She responded, feeling bad for him. She didn’t know what else to say to him. She wanted to know what was troubling him, but thought it best to give him time. He had obviously thought of something.

            She watched as he walked away, throwing his bag over his shoulder. She sighed, taking a seat again.

            “No point in being here alone.”

            She turned around to find Tony standing behind her, smiling. “Did you guys get in a fight?”

            “Huh?” she hadn’t processed what he said.

            He took a seat where Bradley had been sitting and noticed that he was in his work clothes. He had a white collard shirt on with a black tie, and a small apron around his waist.

            “Mind if I join you for a bit?” he asked, resting his arms on the table. Roxanne nodded.

            “Yeah, please. My friend kind of bailed on me.” She said, taking a sip of her water.

            “He’s your friend? I could have sworn he was your boyfriend. I saw him grab your hand earlier.” Tony said, grinning.

            Roxanne blushed and shook her head. “No! No! It’s not like that at all!”

            Tony smirked.

            “I mean he’s a handsome guy, don’t get me wrong. But we’re just friends. That’s all.” She said, feeling her face grow hot.

            “That’s even better.” Tony said. “I was wondering if you’re free tonight… if you don’t have a boyfriend that is.”

            Roxanne was surprised at how upfront he was. She sat there, contemplating her options. She hadn’t planned on dating anyone for a while, but she had seen Tony around campus a lot. First at the Chinese restaurant and often at the café. He was polite and not to mention cute.

            She noticed how the sun caught the blond highlights in his curly hair, and how his blue eyes watched her, waiting for her reply. She gulped.

            “Tony, I…”

            “Say no more. I understand.” He said, smiling softly. He made to stand but Roxanne cut him off.

            “NO! I’d love to!” she said, and covered her face with her hands. She took a deep breath and controlled herself. Why was she so nervous?

            “Really?” he asked

            She nodded, hoping that she wasn’t going to regret it later.

            “Wow! I can’t wait then! Where can I pick you up?” he asked, excited.

            “Do you have a notepad?” Roxanne asked. He reached into his apron and pulled out a very messy yellow notebook and pen. He handed it to her.