Mission Impossible

“Max, Max dude can you hear me?” Bobby’s voice came through the walkie-talkie. Max flipped through his television, finding the right channel. He spotted Bobby’s shoes on the screen and sighed.

            “Yeah, I was just checking the camera. Everything’s good on this side. Over.” Max replied, holding the walkie-talkie near his mouth. They had sent Jasmine over to pick up a pizza they had ordered. Max figured they had at least a half an hour before she would be back. He knew his plan was crazy, but for some reason, he didn’t care.

            “The back door is open.” Bobby said, and Max saw him extend a gloved hand towards the glass door and opened it, making a soft clicking sound.

            “Okay, great. Make sure you leave no mark that you were there.” Max said, his nose almost touching the television screen. His heart was pounding fast. Did he want it to be Roxanne’s house? Was it going to make him feel better that they were in fact, hanging out with Bradley tonight?

            “It smells in here.” Bobby said, the camera pointed towards the door.

            “Bobby, focus! I don’t want to see your shoes.” Max said.

            “Oh, sorry.” Bobby focused the camera around the room and Max could see that he was standing in their kitchen. “It smells like perfume.”

            “Well, that just proves it’s a girls house.” Max said, his eyes focused on the screen. He hated that he was trapped in the stupid wheelchair.

            “I see pictures on the fridge.” Bobby said, pointing the camera on a large black fridge, with colorful pictures and words splattered all over it. Max held his breath as Bobby got closer, the pictures focusing. “Wow, there’s this hot blond girl on the- OH MY GOSH!”

            Max jumped back, seeing Bobby fall back onto the floor, the camera landing at an awkward angle. He saw Bobby struggling to get up, his legs kicking all over the place.

            “Bobby, what’s wrong!” he yelled into the walkie-talkie, his nerves on the edge. “What happened?”

            He saw Bobby pick up the camera, and now everything was shaking. Obviously Bobby couldn’t keep the camera steady.

            “Dude, when was she blond?” Bobby said, focusing the camera on the blond girl in the picture. Max was able to make out the round glasses and curvy figure. He gasped, recognizing the girl as Stacey.

            “Wow,” he said, laughing into the walkie-talkie. “That’s Stacey.”

            “This is not funny! This is my Stacey! She was so innocent- so pure- what is this blond nonsense?” Bobby said, and Max saw him focusing the camera on the other pictures on the fridge. Blond Stacey stood next to a red headed Roxanne, both wearing bathing suits and standing in the water of a clear blue beach. He felt a lump in his throat. So Roxanne does live there…

            KNOCK KNOCK.

            Max looked over at the door and to his alarm saw it open and in walked his dad and Sylvia, followed in by no other than Jasmine. He quickly threw the walkie- talkie behind the sofa and turned the television off.

            “Maxie!” his dad ran up to him and hugged him, almost suffocating him. Jasmine took a seat on the sofa.

            “Sorry, babe, but I ran into your parents. They insisted on coming over and not buying pizza.” She said, looking un-amused.