Couple of the Year

"-Anne,"

She slowly opened her eyes, the light making it hard to get up. Her body felt so heavy, her neck stiff. She groaned as she felt the hard floor underneath her hand.

"Roxanne, oh my gosh, you had me worried!"  She made out Stacey's voice and felt someone help her up from the floor.

"Are you okay?" She heard Max's voice behind her. That snapped her eyes wide open. She turned to face him, he was holding her.

"Wha-What's going on? Where am I?" She asked confused. She looked around, making out her backpack on the floor, the pile of books right next to it. The Halloween decorations were still in the box, some of the orange confetti all over the floor.

"We were worried sick! You never came home last night." Bobby said, hands on his hip.

"I called them. I didn't know what to do. Max found you here sleeping." Stacey said, hugging her. "I'm so glad you're okay!"

"How did you end up sleeping here?" PJ asked. "Even I haven't slept at the library."

"I'm sorry guys," Roxanne said embarrassed. "I don't remember what happened. There was a girl I was helping out but my memory is so blurry as to how I ended up falling asleep."

Roxanne felt dizzy. How did she let this happen? She remembered feeling tired, and Mona telling her to take a seat. She probably passed out from over working herself, but why didn't Mona wake her up?

"Come on, let's get you home." Max said. Roxanne nodded, and let him lead her out of the library.

"You're not hurt are you?" Max asked her as they rode back to her house. He noticed the dark circles under her eyes.

She shook her head. "No, again, I'm sorry for the scare I might have caused you guys."

She had no idea how crazy he had been last night when Bobby told him Roxanne was missing. His heart dropped, he couldn't think straight. He hated being handicapped or he would have ran out into the night looking for her.

     But she was safe now, laying in the back of their van. She seemed unsteady, probably exhausted from the lack of sleep. He didn't want to let her out of his sight.

     "Can I stay with you?" He asked her. He felt everyone else in the van go quiet, waiting for her response. She nodded, closing her eyes and dozing off to sleep. He looked up at Stacey who winked, and PJ who nodded. They all knew what he felt for her. Even if he couldn't be romantically in her life again, he wanted to be there for her.

They had reached her house. Stacey helped her out the van. To his surprise, Bradley was waiting outside with some of his guys.

     "Roxanne!" He exclaimed, running up to her. They hugged, making Max feel uncomfortable. "You had me worried!"

     "She was at the library," Stacey said taking the keys out of her purse. "Thanks for the help."

     "I'm sorry, again, everyone." Roxanne apologized. She didn't pull awat from Bradley but let him lead her into the house.

     "Maybe we should just let her rest," Max told PJ and Bobby.

     "We are, but aren't you going to stay with her?" PJ asked.

     "Yeah, man that was the plan." Bobby said confused.

     "I think Brad's got this one." Max said, feeling defeated. Bradley was more Roxanne's friend than he was.
     "Speaking of the devil-" Bobby groaned. Tony's car pulled up behind their van.