She Let Her In

She opened her eyes, not remembering how she had made it to Tony's house. She was next to him in his bed, the light outside barely coming in through his dark curtains.

Her head hurt as the images from last night came flowing back into her memory. Max's arms around her, the kiss on her forehead, the longing of wanting him in a way she's never had him still fresh on her skin. She sat up, noticing the sleeping Tony without his shirt on, and her without hers. What had happened last night?

Roxanne walked to the bathroom, feeling uneasy. She wanted to throw up, not because Tony disgusted her, but because she was disgusted in herself. How had she become the girl who slept with her boyfriend but thought of another man the whole time? This was wrong and she knew she had to end it before it escalated any further.

She tied her hair up in a pony tail and stepped into the shower, wanting to wash everything away. She should have never came. What was wrong with her? Why was she feeling down all the time? It couldn't be because of Max. That would be a stupid reason..

"You're up early." Tony said as she got dressed.

"Yeah, I need to go home. I'm sorry to have bothered you." She hesitated, unsure of what to say next.

"You didn't. Why would you think that?" He asked, his voice more alert.

"It- it was wrong of me." She stammered, not knowing how to say exactly what she felt. He deserved the truth.

"Roxanne?"

"I can't be with you anymore." She blurted out, feeling the release of her words. "Tony, you're wonderful, but I can't be with you."

He jumped out of bed, closing in the distance in a blink of an eye. His strong arms wrapped around her, his body embracing her. She took in his scent, something she had yet learned to recognize.

"How can you not be right for me? You're everything I have ever wanted in someone. I know you have a lot on your plate and I understand." He whispered. "Last night I felt a strong connection with you."

"But I didn't feel that connection you felt. I have never felt that connection with anyone! Not you, not my last boyfriend in France! Not anyone! How can you be so sure of something?" Roxanne asked irritated. "Isn't sex just sex?!"

Tony looked down at her, his eyes shocked. "Roxanne-"

"No! I'm tired of everyone thinking they know what's best for me, that they understand me. Tony, you're amazing. I want to be honest with you." She closed her eyes. There was no turning back.
"I'm not over Max."

"Max?" He asked, frowning. "This is about Max?"

"I left to study abroad because I couldn't bare to go to the same school. We had a good 3 years together, and just seeing him again opened old wounds. I didn't mean to hurt you. I know it's cliche to say, but it's the truth. I like you, don't get me wrong, but it's just not there yet."

Tony released her, taking in a deep breath. "I can't talk to you right now, because everything I want to say will sound wrong. So," he pointed at the door. "I'll see you around?"

Roxanne felt the tears form but she didn't want him to see. It hurt her to have said those things to him, but she felt free again.

................

"There you are." Stacey said as she walked into the house. "I figured I wouldn't see you until later."

"I broke up with Tony." she said.

"You didn't?!" Stacey exclaimed.

"I'm not happy about it. But I told him the truth. I told him about Max." Roxanne said throwing herself on the couch.

"Honey-"

Stacey sat next to her and hugged her. Roxanne began to shake, her anxiety crawling her way out.

"I'm a horrible person, aren't I?" Roxanne asked, her voice trembling.

"No, you did the right thing." Stacey said, taking Roxanne's face in her hands. " Tony deserved the truth."

"But I don't know what to do with myself anymore. I don't want to see Max, I don't want to see Tony."

"And you don't have to. Focus on yourself this year. I won't invite Max over anymore okay? Promise." Stacey said.

A hard knock startled them away from their conversation. Stacey got up and slowly approached the door.

"It's PJs girlfriend." She whispered.

"Why is she here?" Roxanne asked. "Hurry up, open the door."

Stacey nodded. Roxanne wiped her tears away and tried to look relaxed.

"Good morning Stacey. Is Roxanne home?" Mocha asked.

"I'm here. Is everything okay?" Roxanne approached the door, feeling a weird vibe coming from PJs girl.

"Look, I'm going to make this quick. Stay away from Max."

"Excuse me?" Roxanne was caught off guard.

"I've known him for 4 years now. He's like my brother to me. I can't stand seeing him hurt because of you. Make up your mind on your feelings. I know you're with Tony, another good friend of mine. Stop playing these two guys. Focus on one and stop being selfish. Think about what you're doing. I'm not here to make enemies. I'm here, woman to woman telling you to just forget about Max. Focus on your relationship with Tony. "

Roxanne didn't know what to say. Why was Mocha attacking her?

"Hey, you don't have the right to come into our house and demand things from Roxanne when you don't know the whole story." Stacey said, angrily.

"But I do know the whole story." Mocha said. "I know she was cuddling up to Max last night and then spent the night with Tony. Who are you trying to fool?"

"What she does is her own business!" Stacey said.

"Stop." Roxanne said, feeling her heart pounding against her chest. "You're right. I'll stay away from Max."

"Thanks. That's all I ask." Mocha said making to leave. "Sorry to have intruded-"

Roxanne slammed the door shut before Mocha could finish her sentence. Stacey stood there, watching her with a shocked expression on her face.

"I didn't know Max went around crying about his problems." Roxanne said, feeling awfully numb. She started laughing.

"Roxanne?" Stacey whispered. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Mocha just opened my eyes to what people are really like. They're all pathetic, stupid-ass people." Roxanne looked at her reflection in the mirror. A faded version of her stared back at her, her dark eyes hollow, smiling. "I'm done being nice."