One Week Later

Roxanne opened her eyes, a slight throb radiating softly behind her temples. It had been a week almost and she still wasn't used to the idea of waking up in a hospital.

They had cleared her of any infections or potential life threatening wounds, but she was still in a lot of pain.

She shared the room with Stacey, who refused to leave her side unless she had class. Roxanne had no parents. Her father had passed away her sophomore year of college, having died from heart failure. She missed him a lot.

But she was thankful for Mr. Goof. He visited her everyday, sometimes accompanied by his wife Sylvia or Max. Max wasn't too happy about his parents being back on campus, but she loved the attention she was receiving. She felt safe, and most importantly, she felt loved.

"I warded off the rest of the reporters," Sylvia said, closing the door behind her. She was carrying two cups of coffee. She had her glasses dangling off the tip of her nose, which made her squint her eyes a lot, trying to focus.

"Thanks, Sylvia." Roxanne said, sitting up. "I've told them all the same story."

"You and everyone else. All that matters is that we reported it to the police. Here, take this." Sylvia said, handing her a cup. She took a seat beside her. "How do you feel?"

Roxanne shrugged. "Better, I guess. Will I be able to go home now?"

Sylvia smiled. "I think so. At least, that's what I was told."

"Great! I really want to go home." She said as Goofy walked in.

"They keep taking my picture. I must be famous." He joked. "Ah, Roxanne you're up already. I got good news. You're allowed to leave today! I have Maxie pulling the car upfront now."

"Max? He can drive?" She asked. Last time she had seen him his leg had been wrapped all over again.

"Yeah, he recovered quickly." Sylvia said, her smile disappearing. "I'm still working on his case. Don't get me wrong. It just seems no one is in a hurry to help. Now with all this bandit nonsense I definitely will have to wait longer."

"Honey, you're doing the best you can." Goofy said, putting a comforting arm around his wife.

"The nurse will come give you one final checkup, and then you're good to go. I was wondering if you'd like us to stay with you, at your house with Stacey? Only if you want us to. We want to help in any way we can." Sylvia said.

Roxanne didn't know what to say. She didn't want to impose on them, but she would feel better knowing her and Stacey were not alone in the house. It was a lot to think about.

"If it helps, Stacey said she didn't mind." Goofy said. "We just want to make sure you're okay, and Maxie too. We almost lost you guys."

"I would love that," Roxanne said.

Max waited anxiously in the car. He was happy Roxanne was being released, but he wasn't happy about his parents staying with her. What would they talk about? Would they bring him up? Would he have any privacy?

He wrapped a colorful knitted scarf around his neck, which was surprisingly, very warm. His dad had knitted it for him. It had a large yellow patch at one end.

"Ugh I look stupid," he groaned as he examined his reflection in the mirror. He tugged the scarf inside his back pocket.

He saw the trio walking towards him, Roxanne limping. She was holding on to Sylvia, who was holding Goofy's hand. They looked like one small family. It made Max's heart skip a beat. She looked perfect.