Confrontation

Roxanne didn't know what to do. She stood there, her lips pressed tightly together. His lips felt strange, unfamiliar. He took a step back to look at her, smiling with his eyes. She cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry, if I came off too forward." Tony said, "But I really like you. You're not like the other girls here."

"You barely know me." She said softly, her eyes moving toward his house. She wanted to talk to him. She wanted to see him.

"I know, but I want to, Roxanne. Can I take you out again?"

She wanted him to leave already.

"Sure, but I have to get going. Call me okay?"

His grinned. "Of course." He gave her another kiss, but she turned her face so he ended up kissing her cheek instead. "Goodnight, Roxanne."

She waited for him to pull away before tightly grabbing her bag. She had to talk to him. There was no other reason why he should have been spying on her right? There couldn't.

She walked across the street, her heart racing. If she didn't get answers, her mind would wander. She knew this already. What was she going to do?

Before she could knock, the door flew open and PJ walked into her, throwing her off balance. He caught her before she could fall.

"Woah, dude. What are you doing here so late?" Bobby peeped across PJ.

"Guys, give her space." Mocha walked out, her hair flawlessly falling down her shoulders. She was so beautiful. "She's here for Max. I know she didn't come over here to chat with you two."

"Hehe, yeah. Is he up?" Roxanne asked nervously.

"Upstairs, room at the end of the hall." Mocha said. "I'd think he'd be very happy to see you."

..........................................................................................................................................................

Max couldn't believe that he had lost her. He wasn't even with her, but he knew he had never stopped caring about her. She had left his life so suddenly and without warning. Of course his heart would recognize her in an instant.

The door knocked. His groaned, not wanting to talk to anyone.

"Bobby, not now, please." He said, rubbing his temples.

"It's me."

His heart jolted. It couldn't be.

"Can I come in?"

It was her. Why was she in his house?

Act cool. Remain cool, Max...

"Uh, yeah, come in!"

She walked in, her red curls covering her left eye like it always did. It took his breath away.

"I want to make this quick." She said, closing the door behind her. "Why were you spying on me?"

He could feel the sweat starting to trail down his temples. What should he do? Tell the truth?

No, she has a boyfriend now. Don't ruin anything for her. Don't confuse her...

"We weren't there to spy on you." He laughed, trying to stop himself from giving anything away. "We were there for the- waitress."

She raised an eyebrow. "Really? Because both PJ and Bobby were in drag- well not Bobby, but you know what I mean."

"I'm sorry, I ruined your date with Tony. But I wasn't there for you." Once he had said those words her felt a sharp jab in his chest.

"I wish I could believe that, Max. I can't believe I'm even saying this! But am I really the only one that feels this way? Am I the only one that can't forget the past, Max?" He could see her tears building up behind her brown eyes.

He forced himself up from his bed.

"Roxy, what- what are you talking about?" he asked, calling her by her nickname that he had given to her after he had asked her to be his girlfriend back in sophomore year.

"It's hard to see you again. It's so hard, Max." a tear rolled down her cheek. She started shaking. "I better just say everything now, so we can move forward with our lives. I still care about you... I still hurt from that incident in prom. I still hurt from seeing how fast you moved on without me. I didn't think I would feel this ever again, Max."

She started crying. He hopped over to her, putting her arms around her. He squeezed her, and he felt complete. She felt warm, he could feel her breaking down in front of her.

"Roxanne, I never, I never meant to hurt you." He said, feeling his voice crack. He didn't want to cry. She looked up at him, her mascara running down her cheeks. "I'm so sorry, for everything. I wish I could back and change everything. I would have fought harder for you... now look at us. We're standing here, and I feel like it's my second chance. I need you, Roxanne. I let you go. That was my mistake."

"I want us both to be happy. I want to forget you, Max Goof."