The Long Night

Bradley didn't know where he was going. He laughed to himself as he remembered the many nights he would walk down this very sidewalk, but before he was King of the X-Games. He had nothing to worry about. He had everything going for him, but now, what did he have?
    He was trying to keep the illusion that everything was okay. For some reason he craved Jasmine's affection but that's all he wanted from her. Nothing more. Could it be he just wanted to feel like he did before? Back then during his Sophomore year of college he had felt like he had it all. Tonight though he felt empty. Lately he had been going to her apartment every night, getting wasted and spending the night together. It kept him from going to school. It kept him from practice. But for those short hours he felt alive again. He couldn't deny it. He would have flashbacks to how things were, and it kept him from leaving Jasmine's side.
    He walked down to the center of campus, where there were still a few students out and about. Bradley looked down at his watch. It was only 10pm. He really wanted to have another smoke but he knew he couldn't. Not in front of anyone anyways. He had a reputation to uphold. He had gained some popularity back since coming in second to the Megalos.
    He somehow ended up at the Java place. He took a seat on the bench, ordered a cup of coffee and placed his head on the table, feeling oddly refreshed.
    "I finally get to see your face."
    He quickly rose his head and stared at Mocha, whose beauty he could never get over. She had full large lips and long silky hair that he couldn't believe a loser like PJ had won her over. Not even she had fallen for his advancements freshman year. Mocha stared at him, hand on her hip, reading him.
    "You are one lost man," she said.
    "Yeah, how so?" He asked, taking a sip of his coffee.
    "A woman just knows these things. I'm guessing you haven't had a woman in a while." Mocha responded, filling up his mug. "Don't worry, it's on the house."
    "I have." He found himself saying.
    "Oh, I wasn't talking about sleeping with one. I was talking romantically. You haven't had a woman to call your own for a while now."
    "Yeah, what does that have to do with anything?" Bradly asked, feeling exposed.
    "I know people, Brad. You have a lot of issues going on. Here, give me your hand."
    Bradley extended his hand to her, not knowing where this was going. She looked down at his palm, as if reading something on it. She traced her finger along the curve of his thumb.
    "Just as I suspected. Something evil is brewing inside you."
    Bradley snatched his hand away at the dark look in her eyes. She was staring behind him. It happened all too fast. She had seemed to see something but then her eyes focused back on him.
    "What can I do about it?" Bradley asked, knowing damn well who she had seen.
    "I- I don't know what to tell you. How long has this been going on?" Mocha asked.
    "Too long," Bradley sighed
    "Well, you have a strong love line here," she pointed down at his palm. "I feel like you need to use this in order to fully recover and overcome this, this evil presence you have on you."
    "So, I'm not crazy, you can see him too?" Bradley needed answers.
    "For a second yes. But just a second. I can't tell you how I know these things, but I do. I can feel them. You have a heavy burden on you. The only thing keeping you together is this strong love connection you have here."
    "But who is it?" He asked, his mind quickly zooming to Jasmine. It couldn't be her, could it?
    "I don't know. But you know where to find me if you need anything else." Mocha responded, walking away.
    Bradley felt a little better. He was surprised Mocha was capable of such... power. That's what she had to have. Some sort of gift. She could read him like an open book. He took another sip of his coffee and decided it was best if he went to his own home tonight.

..................................................................

Roxanne didn't know why she had let it get so late. The library was open 24 hours, but she told herself she would never stay there longer than she needed to. Guess tonight was one of those nights.
She packed up her books, holding in a yawn. When was the last time she had some decent sleep?
The talk with Stacey hadn't gone well. Roxanne couldn't seem to be able to open up to her. She felt as if it was a burden she alone had to carry. Stacey couldn't understand how she was feeling. She was dating Bobby, everything was going well for her.
But Roxanne couldn't decide what she should do. Should she let Max go?
She passed the help desk, where there was a young girl putting up Halloween decorations. Roxanne saw her struggling with the banner, her right foot trying to keep its balance on the small step stool she had. Roxanne ran over and caught her before she lost her balance, pushing her upright.
"Oh my gosh, thanks!" The girl responded, her short brown bangs covering one side of her face. Her hair was really short and brown.
"No problem." Roxanne responded. "Do you need some help?"
"Would you mind? They want me to have all this up by tomorrow and I honestly don't think I can by myself. You saw how well that was going."
Roxanne nodded. "I don't mind at all. I was actually leaving."
"Mid-terms kicking your butt?" The short haired brunette asked.
"Tell me about it."
"I'm an art major. I just have a bunch of paintings to do before the end of the month." She said, stepping down from the stool.
"You're lucky then." Roxanne said, putting her backpack down. "I have exams."
"It's not as easy as you think." The girl responded. "Try drawing without any inspiration."
"I understand. I draw myself." Roxanne said, feeling a little uneasy. Something wasn't clicking well with this girl. She couldn't put her finger on it.
"Do you? I wouldn't have guessed. Not with all those books you carry in that huge backpack of yours."
Roxanne clicked her tongue, annoyed. "So what do you need help with?"
"That's right! The decorations. Well, you see all these stickers in that box over there? Could you put them on the windows for me?"
Roxanne saw the large box of stickers under the desk. "On what windows?"
"All of them. If it's too much to ask for, I can do it myself."
"I'm Roxanne by the way," Roxanne said, trying to change the ugly mood she was starting to get into. "Senior."
"I'm Mona, also a senior." She responded, extending her hand. "Sorry if I come off too strong, it's been a long day."
"No worries, well, let me get started on this box." Roxanne said.

.............................................................................................................................

Bradley was almost home when he spotted a figure running past his house. He couldn't mistake her.
"Cora?"
She didn't turn around. She kept running her pony-tail bouncing behind her. Bradley began to run after her, noticing how heavy he felt. Smoking and drinking was affecting him badly. He needed to get himself together.
"Cora!"
She stopped in mid-run, looking around for his voice. She spotted him and to his surprise didn't smile or even acknowledge him. She took the headphones off that she was wearing and as he got closer he saw the CD player strapped to her waist. She had been listening to music.
"Yeah?" She said, an eyebrow raised.
"Um, how are you?"
"Look, I don't have time for small talk. I'm training." She said, her face pink.
"I can see. I'm sorry to have bothered you,  but it's been a while since we saw each other. The party right?"
Cora rolled her eyes. Bradley felt a jab at his chest. Why was she being like this?
"Yeah, I've noticed. You haven't been around much. Too busy with you new girlfriend?" Cora said.
"She's not my girlfriend." Bradley said, feeling defensive.
"Mhmmm."
"She's not. Look why are you acting like this? I just wanted to say hi."
Cora sighed. "I thought you were different. That's all. I see your men train without you all the time. You're just a lost cause. And I don't have time to waste. Don't you see what you're becoming?"
"I see it. I know."Bradley said softly. "Believe it or not this was me all up until school started."
"Why? What made you like this?"
Bradley took in a deep breath. "Care to walk with me?"
Cora hesitated before nodding.
Bradley was trying to find out where to start, but everything was all jumbled up in his mind. Evil Brad, Jasmine, the X-Games, Roxanne, Max... Max.
"It all started Freshman Year of College, when I was the X-Games King..."