AN OLD SPARK

Roxanne closed her book, sighing. Finally, she was done with her midterms. She got up, turned in her booklet to her Anatomy professor, and walked out of the classroom feeling free.

She had spent weeks studying, getting back into her normal routine. She didn't want her grades to go down, and after that night in the asylum, she had gotten a really needed reality check.

Her leg was still hurting, but she was using a cane instead of crutches to get around. It wasn't so bad.

The cool autumn air blew past her, making her crazy red curls fly around. She giggled. It felt amazing not having to worry about her exams anymore. At least, until Thanksgiving break was over.

She looked up and spotted Max, sitting on a bench with a book in his hand. Was he really reading? she thought as she approached him. He looked up as she walked towards him and grinned.

"How was it?" he asked, reaching for her bag. She allowed him to take it.

"It was fairly easy, well, most of it," she responded. " I sat there questioning myself for the longest."

"Don't sweat it, I know you passed. You're the smartest person I know." he said as they walked away from the Science building.

"How about you?" she asked, liking his compliment. "Are you finally done?"

"Yeah, I finished literature exam this morning. I think it went pretty well. Then I got to hit the gym! Can you believe it? It's been a while since I've been able to do anything with my body." he said.

"I'm glad, I can't imagine how you felt. I feel as if I'm so limited and I didn't break anything," she laughed again. "You were all messed up."

Max turned to her and smiled. She felt her cheeks warm up.

"How's Mona?" she asked, trying to change the subject.

"She's good. She's upset she's not spending thanksgiving with me." he said, frowning a bit.

"Huh, why don't you invite her?" Roxanne asked. "Your parents invited me, I don't think they'll have a problem with her too."

"Nah, I don't really want to, if I'm being honest. I already promised her Christmas. Sylvia won't be there, she's flying to California to visit her family. I think it'll be easier to just introduce her to my dad." he said. He sighed. "I'm not ready to introduce her just yet."

Roxanne felt a pang of jealousy. She quickly swallowed it down.

"So it's serious then. You made her your girlfriend."

Max looked at her, his eyes pleading. She didn't understand why. She rolled her eyes, trying to lighten the mood.

"It's not like that. I haven't asked her. We're just... I guess... seriously dating?" he said, trying to find the right words. Roxanne nodded.

"Well, I'm happy for you then," she said, feeling the words forced out of her mouth. She smiled.

"There is one thing though, and I hope you don't get mad." Max said, as they reached his car. She leaned against the side door, looking up at him. She saw the color rush to his face.

"Spill," she said, feeling a bit of anxiety. They had just rekindled their friendship. She didn't want to lose him now.

"She doesn't want me around you," he said quickly. He saw the look on her face and placed one hand on her cheek. "But that's not going to happen. I'm not going to lose you twice."

She felt her heart beat quickly. It kind of hurt, and the fear of throwing up overwhelmed her. Why was she feeling this way?

"If she doesn't want us to be friends, I don't see how that can work." Roxanne said, a little irritated. "She hates me for no reason but her own, ugh."