Chapter 109

LUCY

"Taylor...he-he took him."

It felt as if the world is falling apart. It took me a couple of seconds to realize what was happening. We were talking about a child, the sweet little Charlie.

Despite that something far more terrible happened, there must be a reason why Gemma is sitting here without being able to talk properly. This was not like the other times. This Taylor's losing his mind and Gemma is being his victim. I don't need common sense to know that we had to save Charlie and beat up this guy.

Many mixed feelings build up inside me. I feel completely devastated by seeing Gemma on this way, she's very hurt, is almost inhuman what he has done. I am also very sad for Charlie, he's just a kid. His innocence and childhood cannot be based on this. Both deserve better, just wish their fates were different.

I don't know where I get the strength but I grab a needle. I'm nervous, the whole situation has me on this way. I touch the wound on her hand and identified tiny piece of glass. After two attempts I managed to remove it with the needle. Gemma say nothing, didn't complain or whine.

"Your...your calf, you have—?"

"Yes."

I breathed slowly. My fingers were stained red as I felt the wound. This time the glass was a little bigger. My fingers gripped a piece and threw it out. I took another and another small piece. Again I felt the wound and I think there is nothing more.

I looked at Gemma, she said nothing while I took out those pieces. Didn't hurt? My question is replaced by an obvious answer: She must be suffering more by the absence of Charlie. This pain is not compared to the pain she must feel as a mother.

"Do you have something to clean your wound? An old shirt? "

She pressed her lips into a thin line but didn't respond.

"I'll get a towel, okay?"

Again there was no answer.

I got up and went for the towel. I put it under the water a bit and then returned to the room. I wiped the blood and pressed the towel against her calf just to stop the bleeding.

I wiped my fingers and grabbed my cell. What should I do? Who do I call? I would like to call Harry but I know it would be a big mistake. I wish he could  know this but I know Gemma would not like, she's just trying to protect him. I understand her decision, at this point of the events I'm sure Harry would kill Taylor. I cringe at the thought of the situation and the name Taylor.

I know I cannot count on Harry but I know who to call.

"Where is your phone?"

I got up and started looking for the object.

"I don't know."

"I need Louis' number," I said.

"Are you sure?" She muttered.

"Louis will help us and won't say anything about it, I swear," I affirmed.

I'm not sure. I simply have a feeling. He helped me and didn't tell Harry about my horrible encounter with Taylor. I really think we can count on him or otherwise I don't know what we are going to do. The situation is delicate and dangerous, I need Louis.

Gemma gave me the number and I called him. He didn't answer at first and my hands started to shake. I called him again and this time he answered. The relief was immediate.

"Who is it?"

"Louis, it's me, Lucy."

"How did you get my number, stalker nerd?" He asked, didn't sound rude, it sounded like a joke I guess.