let's be what we are

Troye was so happy to reunite with his sister in Paris, but being one of the people who knew Troye best, it was no surprise that she could tell something was wrong. So it was over a bottle of wine during their first night in Paris that Troye just spilled all of his concerns through a mix of tears and anger.

"At one moment he was suggesting an open relationship," Troye lamented and Sage's eyes went wide, "and the next he said maybe we needed a break."

"What did you decide on?" Sage asked softly, placing a comforting hand on Troye's arm.

"Ultimately I walked away and he followed and told me he loved me and that he just wanted me to be happy and I told him I wanted to be happy with him and he agreed. Then I got ready and headed to the airport and then Tommy texted me and apologized and I accepted their apology, but Sage, I've got to be honest with you- I don't know what the hell to think. Jacob claims so many marriages fail in the US because people try to be monogamous and I point out that it's not like that in Australia, but like do you think he's trying to tell me something? Am I not enough for him? He tried to make it sound like it was about me, but maybe he just wants other people? I just don't know." 

"To be clear, and please know I would never judge you, you don't want like any open relationship right?" Sage asked.

"Fuck no! I want to fall in love, get married, have kids, raise a family, and get old and die with my husband," Troye replied.

"You want to fall in love," Sage said, "are you insinuating that you aren't already?"

Troye paused, "What? No? I didn't mean it like that. Of course I love Jacob. Sage, that feeling when I first met him, what I felt is not what you feel with like just anyone. It was like fireworks. That's how it's suppose to feel when you meet THE one. We're just in a difficult place right now, that's all. We are going to get through this and next month we are going to Thailand, just the two of us and we are going to sort this all out and be stronger than ever."

Sage frowned.

"What?" Troye asked.

"I think you might watch too many happily ever after movies, Tok. I love you like so much and want nothing but happiness for you and I love Jacob so much too," Sage said her voice breaking at the mention of Jacob's name, "but Troye, I'm afraid that this relationship is going to destroy the two of you."

"Sage," Troye said almost angrily.

"Please don't be mad at me. I just think you two need to sit down and seriously talk about about this without it turning into fighting or fucking or else you'll end up absolutely resenting one another and then lose each other completely and for the sake of Nash, it'd be best for you all to at least remain friends."

"Sage," Troye said his voice softening, "we are suppose to get married."

"You've two haven't mentioned that word in like forever, Troye."

"We've been busy! I'd marry him tomorrow if I could."

Sage chewed on her bottom lip, "So maybe ask yourself why you two haven't done it if you're that willing, and 'we are too busy' isn't an appropriate excuse."

Troye looked down and sighed, "even the sweetest plum has only got so long. Fuck... I think we've got an expiration date."

Sage nodded and pulled Troye into a hug.

From that moment, Troye decided to approach his relationship with Jacob differently. He figured it was best to enjoy their time together and just have fun. And it felt good. They laughed, they enjoyed one another in every way possible and it felt incredible. Troye felt free and actually truly happy. Many times he would catch himself looking at Jacob and feeling absolute love and adoration and he would still tell himself that maybe, just maybe it'd still work out, but he wasn't going to pressure things into that direction. After all, he wasn't even 24 yet, and he knew they had plenty of time.