pressing rewind

Jacob paced around the house as he waited for Troye to arrive. A week had past since they last spoke on the phone, but they had texted a bit each day and the two agreed to take some time with each other for a few days before Troye had to head out to China.

Jacob checked his watch and nearly jumped when there was a knock at the door. Quickly Jacob moved to answer it and was confused to see Ryan on the other side.

"Ryan, hey," Jacob said.

"Hey, I wanted you to hear something," Ryan replied.

"Oh," Jacob said and stepped out of the door, "come in."

Ryan stepped into the house and to the living room. He sat on the couch and Jacob moved to sit next to the boy. Ryan smiled at Jacob, "so I'm releasing my next single in like two days."

"That's fucking amazing, Ryan," Jacob smiled.

"Thank you, but I wanted your honest opinion. I'm feeling anxious and no one has better taste in music than you do, so be honest, please," Ryan replied.

Jacob nodded.

Ryan clicked around on his phone and soon patchwork was playing.

Jacob sat back, closed his eyes and listened to the song. As soon as it finished, he opened his eyes and smiled at Ryan.

"Well?" Ryan said.

"You have such an amazing voice, Ryan," Jacob said his smile growing.

Ryan laughed, lunged forward and hugged Jacob, "thank you."

Jacob chuckled, "listen, this song is super rad. I mean I love dark circles because your voice is so so good, but this one is really cool with the different effects. That said," Jacob said and gripped Ryan's arm and looked him in the eye, "someday I think you need to let your voice do the talking."

"Meaning what?" Ryan asked.

"Use this to help kick doors down for you, but then hit people with everything you are capable of. Forget all the effects and just sing. I could listen to you sing all day," Jacob offered.

"That's cute," Jacob heard from behind them and turned to see Troye.

"Troye, hey," Jacob said moving to stand up.

"Don't let me interrupt you," Troye said lifting a hand and then moving to the stairs.

Ryan scoffed, "he's ridiculous, but I appreciate the feedback Jacob, it's just record companies can be so controlling and..."

"Ryan, can we continue this conversation later?" Jacob sighed, "I really do owe it to Troye to," Jacob gestured towards the stairs.

"Owe it to him?" Ryan laughed.

"Ryan, things aren't ok, right now," Jacob offered, "I fucked up and I need to try and work through this before Troye has to leave for China in a few days."

"Fucked up?" Ryan asked.

Jacob nodded his lip quivering.

"Jake, I had no idea. If you needed to talk to someone I'm always right here," Ryan said and squeezed Jacob's hand.

"I know. I appreciate if. You're really a great friend and I don't value this enough," Jacob said gesturing between he and Ryan.

Ryan sighed, "nonsense. But right now what I need you to do is make sure you value yourself. Whatever happened between you two doesn't mean you have to force something that's not good for you, ok?"

Jacob nodded.

With that Ryan stood up, "I'll let myself out. Call me later?"

"Will do," Jacob said and he watched Ryan head out of the house. Jacob took a deep breath pushed off of the couch and headed upstairs, he didn't stop until he was stepping into the bedroom.