the ones that i've kept

The next morning, Troye woke, pressed a kiss to Jacob's cheek and then noticed his phone on his nightstand. Troye sighed and picked it up. The last notification showed that Kayla had changed the name of their group chat to "Troye Sivan is Cancelled."

Troye opened up the group chat and composed a text.

Troye:

Can you guys come over, please?

Kayla:

I'm sorry- I don't think I know you.

Troye:

Please, Kay. I'm sorry. Let me explain, please.

Kayla:

You've had 6 months!

Kerri:

Kayla- chill. I get it, I'm pissed too, but Troye has been busy.

Kayla:

I have a hot new boyfriend.

Kayla:

Look took me less than 15 seconds to send.

Troye:

Kayla, please.

Kayla:

Ugh. We'll come, but don't expect much.

Troye:

Thank you. See you in like an hour?

Kerri:

See you then

Troye turned to look at Jacob who was still sleeping. "Baby?"'he nudged Jacob's arm, "Babe!"'he said a little louder. Jacob stretched awake.

"What's up, boo?"'Jacob said.

"The girls are coming over in an hour to talk. I'm gonna get ready. It's probably best for me to talk to them alone."

Jacob leaned in and kissed Troye. "'nough said. I'll be reading by the pool."

"Thank you," Troye smiled.

Quickly the boys got ready. Jacob then settled in a chair by the pool and Troye waited out front for his friends to arrive. Kayla and Kerri arrived together in Kayla's car. Troye scurried to his feet. As the girls walked towards his house, he smiled, but Kayla pushed right past him, walked into the house and headed up to his bedroom. Kerri shrugged sympathetically and Troye sighed.

What Troye had hoped would be a nice conversation with him explaining and apologizing, fizzled into the three friends crying and yelling at one another.
"We've always been here for you, Troye!" Kayla screamed, "What changed?"

Before Troye could open his mouth to answer, he was interrupted by someone standing in the door. "You guys sound like a bunch of middle school girls fighting," Steele said laughing.

"Do you mind?" Troye asked through his tears.

"Not really. This is pretty entertaining though. What did I miss?" Steele replied.

Kayla spoke up, "Troye didn't think it was necessary to tell his 'best friends' that he had a boyfriend for the last 6 months."

"Ahhh, right Jacob," Steele said. He turned to look at his little brother, "Is your bitch here somewhere?"

Troye scoffed.

"See!" Kayla exclaimed, "If Steele doesn't like him, then I don't like him either."

"You all need to fucking stop!" Troye choked out, "Right the fuck now. Steele, you won't talk about him like that and that's fucking final. Kayla- you've never even really met him! Sure, you're pissed at me, fine. What the fuck ever. I'm sorry. Ok?" Troye's tone softened, "I just wanted him for myself. Ya that's maybe selfish, but I've never felt this way before and it's been hard enough trying to juggle touring and these feelings I have for Jacob and I know it doesn't make sense to not have said anything and I do regret that, but like I am so fucking in love with him and I don't want to have to choose between my friends and my boyfriend, so please just stop."