we're getting closer

That night, Troye hardly slept and before he knew it Dani was excitedly in the doorway of her guest room, that he was occupying, exclaiming that it was time to get up to get ready to go. The plan was to be at the airport for noon. The first round of shows were to take place along the East coast. Dani mistook the sadness in Troye's eyes to be caused by the fact that he would miss his friends. He didn't tell her what happened with Connor, just that he figured it was better if he and Dani arrived to the airport together and she didn't question him.

"If it makes you feel any better, Troye," said Dani. "Your friends are meeting us at the airport for a final bon voyage. It's suppose to be a secret though, so act surprised."

Troye looked up to her with a weak smile and almost as soon as Dani closed the door behind her as she left the room, Troye's phone sounded with an alert and he dove on it immediately.

Jacob: Hey...

Troye: hi Jacob

Jacob: So umm, I think maybe I should apologize

Troye: ????

Jacob: your boyfriend texted me late the night before last, telling me to stop talking to you. I umm didn't text you yesterday because I didn't want to cause any trouble. But, I woke up today and I just had to know- do you want me to stop talking to you too?

Troye: No- Jacob. No. That's not what I want at all.

Troye: Yes, Connor is upset. He's really really upset, but I'm hoping time will heal. Still, I should be allowed to be friends with whoever I want, right? He shouldn't dictate who I talk to.

Jacob: oh thank God! And yes, you are right.

Troye: you're my friend, right Jake?

Jacob: without a doubt.

Troye: ok good. We'll figure this out. But, I have to get ready. I have to be at the airport for noon and apparently my friends are gathering outside the airport as a surprise goodbye so I should attempt to make myself look at least somewhat presentable.

Jacob: I'm sure it will be great. Talk to you later, Tro!

Troye: Bye Jakes. And thanks!

——————————————————-

The nice thing about touring was that Troye's concert wardrobe was already selected for him and already on its way to the other side of the states. All he had to do was go through the suitcases he brought from Connor's house to Dani's. The same ones that travelled with him to Australia, just a few days before. And make sure he wasn't forgetting anything. When Troye was content with how he was packed, he pulled on a pair of black skinny jeans and a white oversized t-shirt, along with his platform black hi-top converse. Troye inspected his curls in the mirror, and deeming them to be acceptable he dragged his suitcases out of the room and into the car waiting up front. Troye climbed into the car next to Dani. Dani turned to him smiling brightly, "ready?" She asked.

"Let's go." Troye replied with a quick nod and with that the car drove towards Troye's future.

As soon as they reached the front of the airport, Troye noticed a group of his friends gathered close to the entrance. He smirked, looked down and shook his head. Dani smiled over at him, opened the door as soon as the vehicle stopped, and stepped out of the car. She stood alongside Troye's friends who cheered when Troye exited the vehicle. He bashfully looked towards his feet and his ears turned pink as he began to blush. "Come over here," Leland said as he dragged Troye into his arms. "I am so so so proud of you." "I could have never done it without you," Troye replied looking at Leland. And this is how things went for the next 15 minutes. Troye was passed from friend to friend, showered with hugs and words of praise before moving on to the next one. Finally, Troye found himself standing in front of Connor.
"Con," Troye gasped. "I didn't think you would come." Connor looked off to the side clearly trying to fight back tears and pulled Troye into a hug. "You really really fucked up, you know that right?" Connor quietly spoke. Troye nodded into the embrace and nuzzled his face into the side of Connor's neck as he spoke. "I'm so sorry for hurting you, Con. I'm so so sorry." He stepped back a little and looked at Connor in the eyes as he continued. "Look though, I really think you're wrong about Jake." Connor sighed, "let's hope I am" and pulled Troye in close again. "I love you, Troye. I love you so much." "I love you too, Con," Troye said and turned his face toward Connor's to steal a quick peck on the lips- after all, they were in public and couldn't risk anyone seeing them in such a compromising position. Troye and Connor lingered in one another's arms before Dani cleared her throat and said it was time to go. As Troye let go of Connor he waved goodbye to all of his friends, smiling at them, until he received a notification on his phone. Looking down, Troye read-

Jacob: 2:00- look to your 2:00?

Troye looked up

Jacob: Right! Not left, silly!

And as Troye glanced to his right, sort of in the distance he spotted him- long, lean, with a dark mop of hair on his head. He wore dark sunglasses, black cropped skinny jeans and a striped black and white shirt with a light denim jacket over top of it. Troye stopped dead in his tracks and Jacob nodded towards him and then looked down to his phone.

Troye's phone buzzed in his hand.

Jacob: you said all of your friends were coming to see you off and I wanted to be here for you too.

Troye looked up and smiled in Jacob's direction. He nodded at the boy and looked down to his phone.

Troye: thank you so much, Jakes. Seriously, thank you!

Jacob smiled and began to type into his phone.

Jacob: you're going to kill it out there, baby! And if you need anything you know where to find me.

Troye nodded and smiled again. He looked up towards Jacob and Jacob pressed his lips to his palm and blew an imaginary kiss over to the blue eyed boy.

Troye's phone chimed again.

Jacob: go get em! Love you!

Troye: love you too!

And with that Troye began to cross over the threshold of the airport, but not before stealing one last glance at the best friend he still hadn't had the chance to actually meet in person.