mathew barzal // new york islanders

requested by @_complicated101

you and mathew's mothers have been best friends since birth which meant both of your families spent so much time together

you and mathew's mothers have been best friends since birth which meant both of your families spent so much time together. it also meant that you had a friend since birth as well.

you lived across the street from each other and had dinners with one another at least once a week. though now it's just mathew's mother and father and your mother and father because mathew is in the nhl and you're at university.

another thing that was pretty fun, you were born on the same day as mathew just 2 hours later.

tonight, both of your families were going to dinner at a fancier place to celebrate you and mathew's return to coquitlam for the summer.

you had slipped on a short red satin dress and black strappy shoes.

"come on y/n." your dad yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

you ran down the stairs.

"you look stunning." your mom said admiring you, "i can't believe i produced that."

you laughed.

"where has my baby gone?" your dad asked in disbelief.

"i'm sure mathew will love this." your mother smirked.

yes, one thing you forgot to mention. both mathew's family and your family have been trying to get you and mathew together for years.

"i don't like mat like that, mom." you groaned.

"oh whatever. you'll realize eventually." she swatted in your direction.

you arrived at the restaurant and got a table. mathew's family strolled in right after you guys with an unfamiliar face behind them.

it had been so long since you had seen mathew. as soon as he saw you, he enveloped you in the largest hug ever.

"oh y/n, this is anthony beauvillier." he stepped to the side to reveal brunette baby faced boy, "he's my teammate."

"y/n. nice to meet you." you greeted.

"anthony. nice to meet you too." he smiled.

you spotted anthony look you from top to bottom, slowly. you smiled.

mathew grabbed your waist and looked you up and down.

"y/n/n, you look so good!" he exclaimed.

you had lost a good amount of weight from the last time you had seen mat. you and started going to the gym and judging from anthony's hefty check out, it was working.

"thank you mat!" you smiled brightly.

"sit down kids." mat's mom said.

you sat down and anthony sat on one side and mat on the other. you thought you saw mathew slightly glare at anthony, but you didn't think much of it.

anthony began to talk to you. he was very polite and great smile. he was cute and all, but definitely not your type.

"your eyes are stunning." anthony said flirting with you like he had been doing all night.

"thank you." you blushed, looking at the floor.

you felt a hand on your thigh. you looked down and saw mat's muscular hand. your eyebrows raised as you looked ahead, paying attention to the conversation the parents were having.

after dinner anthony came up to you, "bye y/n. i hope i get to see you again."

"aw me too." you responded hugging him.

"tu es très jolie" anthony said in french.

you blushed, "anthony i've taken french for forever. merci."

his face turned bright red as he laughed, "oh yeah. can i have your number?"

"your mom and dad are waiting for you y/n." mathew slid into the conversation.

you nodded and mouthed sorry to anthony. he smiled and nodded as you got in the backseat of your parent's car.

"so you like anthony, eh?" your dad asked nonchalantly.

"i said fall in love with mathew, not his friend." your mother groaned.

"no i don't like anthony. he's just nice."

you arrived at home and glanced across the street to see that mat's family hadn't gotten home yet. you ran into the house and sat in the living room.

"y/n, sweetie! could you get the door? someone knocked." your mom called out.

you sighed as your got up out of the comfy sofa.

"oh hey mat." you said as you opened the door.

mathew said nothing, but his actions spoke it all.

he grabbed your waist, pulled you closer to his body, and kissed you.

you were beyond shocked that your childhood friend was kissing you.

you finally realized that you had been doing nothing and kissed back. you put your hand on his cheek.

both of you sighed as your lips separated.

"AW MY GOD. YOU GUYS ARE SO CUTE. MATHEW I AM SENDING THIS TO YOUR MOTHER. ALL OF OUR DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE." your mother yelled as she rushed to send the photo to mat's mom.

you and mat laughed and looked into each other's eyes.

"i love you." both of you breathed out.