jack hughes // new jersey devils

requested by thesarangsense
thank you for helping me learn your culture!

requested by thesarangsensethank you for helping me learn your culture!

jack was pacing around the hotel room with his suit already on. he kept adjusting it slightly.

"jack, everything is going to be okay." you reassured him.

you and jack were going to the reception of your cousin's wedding, but jack was nervous because the wedding was a traditional chinese one.

he had you go over all the traditions he needed to know probably 100 times already.

"can you tell them to me one more time?" jack asked.

you got up and held jack's face in your hands, "jack, you're going to be fine. i'll help you out." you told him.

he nodded with a sigh and you kissed his lips.

"get the red envelope and let's get going." you said to him.

he nodded again and grabbed the wedding gift before linking your arms and walking down to the car.

jack was amazed with the set up once you got there, "wow it's beautiful." he said.

you smiled and nodded as you looked around.

you and jack signed your name in a book that would be used to help present gifts to the newlyweds.

they spent a little time going around and speaking to some people, making sure to talk to the elders first before it was time for dinner.

jack remembered to be very respectful to the elders and address them by the titles that you had told him to.

when it was time to eat, jack's anxiety of doing something wrong came back. his mind moved 10,000x faster.

"it's okay j. just remember what to say before the meal and i'll poke your knee when it's appropriate to eat." you whispered to him.

jack nodded and gave you a small smile.

before the meal everyone said, "dim sum" and the elders began to eat first.

there was to be 6 courses and jack thought it was amazing. you spent the time to tell jack about each of the dishes and the special meaning it had, like the whole fish for abundance and the sweet lotus seeds for fertility.

jack noticed that the groom and the bride had changed clothing during the meal around the third and the sixth courses.

you watched as jack calmed into his surrounds and became comfortable with learning the culture around him.

after dinner, the bride and the groom played the shoe game. silly questions were asked and they would lift the shoe of the person they thought answered the question.

jack smiled down at your head on his shoulder as they laughed at the newlyweds answers.

you couldn't help but watch as jack zoned out and looked at the red and gold surroundings around him.

his eyes shined with pure wonder as they travelled around the room.

"beautiful, isn't it?" you asked him quietly.

he smiled down at your eyes and nodded, "very."

you smiled up at him and kissed his chin lightly.

at the end of the night, after a few more hours at the reception, you and jack went back to your hotel room.

you both got into your pajamas and got into bed. you wrapped your arms around him.

"you did really well jack. i'm proud of you." you said to him and kissed his cheek.

"really?" he asked with a little blush.

"yeah really" you said to him.

"i was really nervous i was going to mess something up so i'm glad you said that." jack said with a happy smile.

"you just needed a little help. you didn't mess anything up at all." you told him.

"well i'm glad then and i hope i get better at knowing and remembering your culture as we do more events and maybe at our own wedding." jack smiled cheekily.

you blushed brightly at his words.

"i sure hope so."