auston matthews // toronto maple leafs

requested

"you don't belong in the nhl!" someone's voice sneered at you on the ice

you turned around quickly and looked the toronto player from bottom to top. auston matthews.

"really?" you said looking a the C on the bruins jersey you were wearing.

"just cause you're gretzky's daughter doesn't mean you should be here." auston hissed.

"why don't we find out if i should be here?" you put down your stick, "drop your gloves matthews. let's go."

you saw a flash of fear in auston's eyes. that's what you wanted. he had seen the previous fights that went down which you dominated.

"come on." you urged nodding at his gloves.

reluctantly, auston dropped his stick and gloves. your gloves fell quickly after his did. the play was blown dead as you guys skated in a circle waiting for someone to make the first move.

all of the people in the ice, toronto or boston, circled around you guys.

you grabbed auston when he wasn't expecting and punched at him. obviously, he was not a fighter. he only ended up connecting about 3 solid punches before he fell to the ice from being pummeled with your's.

teammates and refs pulled you off of auston.

"DO I FUCKING BELONG NOW MATTHEWS?" you yelled in anger as you were escorted towards the penalty box.

auston didn't dare to look in even your remote direction.

3 years later

cosette gretzky has been traded to the toronto maple leafs

"welcome to the leafs cosette. we are pleased to have someone like you on our team." sheldon keefe shook your hand smiling as you arrived at the already started maple leafs training camp.

"i'm honored to be a part of this organization." you responded smiling.

"you'll be bunking with auston matthews as he is, at the moment, your new linemate. we are trying to build up the chemistry between you two."

your smile quickly diminished when you learned you'd have to stay with auston. your hatred for his words never quite disappeared from that point on. he had definitely made the wrong impression upon you.

you walked up to your room and knocked on the door. a sleepy, shirtless auston answered and moved out of the way, letting you into the room. you checked him out from head to toe as he laid back into his bed. you set your stuff down on a chair and fell onto the bed. both of you laid there in silence for what felt like hours. you realized why auston was already in sleeping clothes already, it was 11:12 in the night and they had an early, long practice the next day.

you slid off the bed to your suitcase and pulled out your pajamas. you changed into them in the bathroom and climbed into bed after turning all the lights off.

auston finally spoke a word, "i'm auston."

you sighed and shook your head, "cosette."

"look i'm sorry." auston's voice trembled.

"for what matthews?"

"i never should have said any of that 3 years ago during game 3." auston rambled.

"it's fine. just don't say it again. i think i proved my worthiness in the league." you shrugged.

"well yeah. you're better than me and always have been." auston said.

you let out a chuckle, "don't flatter me matthews. have you seen yourself play."

"yeah actually and i still think you're better." auston continued, but lowered his voice, "you're better looking too."

you sat up in your bed and looked into the darkness towards auston's bed.

"why did you say those things 3 years ago matthews?" you asked.

auston was silent.

"speak up matthews."

he sighed, "fine, if you want the truth. i have a crush on you and you'd never like or date someone like me so unfortunately i used terrible methods to get your attention. i regret it so much." he murmured out.

you set your head back into the cold hotel pillow to think. your mind was filled with thoughts.

"i should've never said that." auston whispered.

"matthews, i'm just thinking. calm down."

"DAMN IT CALL ME AUSTON." auston cried out, clearly upset.

auston rose out of his bed and rushed into the bathroom.

you laid in your bed looking at the dark ceiling and listening to the soft hum of the heater before getting up.

you opened the door of the bathroom to see a very vulnerable auston sitting on the toilet seat.

as soon as he heard the door click open he had wiped his face of tears, but his bloodshot eyes showed everything he was hiding.

you frowned at him. you offered your hand out to him. he looked up at your face and hesitantly took your hand. you grabbed his hand and pulled him up. he looked utterly confused on what was happening. you enveloped him into a hug. his body was as stiff as a board. apparently he wasn't expecting a hug from you, but eventually he melted into the hug.

"i support everything you do. you're my teammate now. i'll forget about the past. it's called the past for a reason." you whispered into his ear.

he nodded as you spoke.

you pulled away from the hug and looked into his glossy brown eyes. you cupped his cheek in your hand.

"you look so handsome right now." you whispered.

he laughed, "my hair is messy, my eyes are red and you say i'm handsome."

"it's a natural look." you allowed a small smile and laugh.

you leaned in and kissed him. another thing he obviously thought you'd never do. he didn't kiss back at first, but once he realized what was happening he quickly continued the kiss.

"how about 7pm dinner tomorrow? just you and me?" you asked.

he smiled softly and nodded.

"i'm excited auston."

auston smiled bigger.

"say my name again." he pleaded.

you walked out of the bathroom chuckling, "you wish liney."